Spring varoa treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old brock

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Okay, for various reasons outwith my control my hive never got treated for varoa in autum or winter. I know this is not ideal but I need to do the best I can now to help the bees. What treatment should I do to help them.
Regards Brock

Okay, for various reasons outwith my control my hive never got treated for varoa in autum or winter. I know this is not ideal but I need to do the best I can now to help the bees. What treatment should I do to help them.
Regards Brock

Mine neither....no big deal. I don't treat mine ...in fact, its a requirement of the breeding group I'm in that test colonies are not treated.

What do you do with the Rhubarb? How does it help?
Cheers mark

There was a peer reviewed paper written by some well respected Polish researchers, as it had been reported that some Polish beekeepers were using Rhubarb leaves on their colonies as there is a total ban on using any varroa treatment during honey collecting time.

an internet search should point you to it

Yeghes da

There was a peer reviewed paper written by some well respected Polish researchers, as it had been reported that some Polish beekeepers were using Rhubarb leaves on their colonies as there is a total ban on using any varroa treatment during honey collecting time.

an internet search should point you to it

Yeghes da

I'll have a gander thank you I'll search on here to!

What treatment should I do to help them.

Very soon, the brood nest will expand as pollen from early plants becomes available. This is an ideal time to assess the infestation of varroa mites with a sticky insert under an open mesh floor. If you count the mites present each week over at least 3 successive weeks, you will have a good idea of the infestation.
You'll be able to decide if you need to treat at all from this

Regards Brock

If i was in your situation i would treat them now the same as i would in Autumn, which would be with a Varrox every five days x 3/4 times..

Would it not be sensible to put in an insert and do a count in a weeks time to see what the ACTUAL situation is rather than guessing?

Just a thought.

KISS

PH

Would it not be sensible to put in an insert and do a count in a weeks time to see what the ACTUAL situation is rather than guessing?

Just a thought.

KISS

PH

I think you might need longer than a week....as B+
Unless of course there are loads on the first day................

In many countries spring treatment is based on real research. Then during summer it has been counted mites, brood amount and honey yield.

But in this forum recommendations happens just like that. "When ever" as they say. Criterium is "hive is alive".

In many countries spring treatment is based on real research. Then during summer it has been counted mites, brood amount and honey yield.

But in this forum recommendations happens just like that. "When ever" as they say. Criterium is "hive is alive".

How do many countries decide whether a spring treatment is required?

How do many countries decide whether a spring treatment is required?

It is enough, if it is in your country.

I just looked from Canadian reseach. We in Finland do spring treatments but we do not have any researcher.

But a guy with 2 years experience delivers his knowledge...

When you have a hammer in your hand, all problems look like a nail.

Could be to try and avoid the same problems of the guy with 50 years experience.

So you have said. Look first the Best before date.

English trust on guys who are over 80 y and advice that do nothing.

I do not have experience about hives which lay the whole winter.

Last edited:
I'm going to use thymol after the cleance flight in spring. I have already used it in autumn. It didn't eliminate all mites but reduced infestation. In my opinion hot weather in August (more that +27) prevented thymol to work efficiently. This method is described by Eric Osterlund from Sweden. He treats with thymol for many years. He writes:

If you can’t do selection work among your bees and you choose to treat with thymol my experience tells me the safest way to keep the number of hives and not loose any or very few is to use thymol both in spring and before winterfeed, two applications per occasions. With home made thymol pads of 5 grams of thymol in each one, one plus one (with 10 days in between) is used in spring and two plus two (with ten days in between) in August. That would make a total of 30 grams of thymol a year. Altogether no more than 3 weeks treatment at each occasion.

If someone tried this method it would be interesting to know the results.

Last edited:
Combs will stink really much thymol before yield , if you use it on spring. Further more thymol and formic acid needs over 15C out temp. Not good idea.

If you do not have during cleansing flight much capped brood, you may use oxalic acid trickling. What are your temperatures now there? And when is cleansing flight time there?

Ukraina is a big country and many climates there. IT has cultivated much turnip rape, but I do not know how it is now.

Last edited:
There must be people treating their bees with Thymol during the active season as I (in my role as show judge) occasionally come across the hint of it in honey presented on the show bench.

Latest posts

Back