Spring Stimulation.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
There seems to be a bit of confusion about the whys and wherefores of giving the colonies some syrup and pollen patty at this time of year.

Please do not confuse Autumn feeding with Spring stimulation. In Autumn the target is to get as much feed as possible into the colonies.

In Spring the aim is quite different.

Lets play what if?

It is a balmy Feb in the year ?, and day after day the bees fly freely collecting the bounteous pollen from the hazel and willows, with the odd drop of nectar coming their way too. The colony responds to the lengthening day light by pushing the queen on to lay in the empty cells cleaned out by the feeding winter cluster. All is well.

Reality check. It is February in 2011, the rain is teeming down and the temperature is some 5 C.

The bees are responding to the longer daylight hours but there is no income to give them a morale boost.

The beekeeper rightly recognising that there is an issue gives pints and pints of feed with the best of intentions. The colony gratefully stores this bounty, and all is well?

No in fact as the over generous beekeeper has promptly filled up the very cells that the queen should be laying in.

At this time in this weather if you want to push your bees on then they need a pollen source, and they need a gentle stimulus of a pint of light syrup 1:1 a week or less. The syrup is for two reasons, it saves the bees having to collect water, and boosts morale by virtue of some "income" and the patty does the same by providing a pollen source regardless of the weather so the bees can decide they are safe to make progress.

I call it reducing stress, and insurance.

I hope this is clear enough.

PH

This is exactly the sort of post that makes watching and taking part in this forum worthwhile. Clear and consise advice from an experienced beekeeper.

Many thanks PH

So the fondant should no longer be in the hive?

This is exactly the sort of post that makes watching and taking part in this forum worthwhile. Clear and consise advice from an experienced beekeeper.

Many thanks PH

:iagree:

I don't think a little fondant will do any harm and we're certainly not out of the woods as far as bad weather is concerned, so it may still be required to reduce the risk of starvation.

The main point is to not feed gallons of syrup, just a little to encourage growth of the colony.

I don't think a little fondant will do any harm and we're certainly not out of the woods as far as bad weather is concerned, so it may still be required to reduce the risk of starvation.

The main point is to not feed gallons of syrup, just a little to encourage growth of the colony.

Some commercial honey farmers only feed fondant and don't bother with syrup at all.....

My turn. PH, Timely and concise advice. Thank you.

Thanks every one.

Esp thanks to Midlands for a brill idea, shall we put you down for a £1000 to start the ball?

LOL

PH

Spring Stimulation

Many thanks PH

and not a drop of patronisation, many thanks PH for an excellent post. (I hope others may be reading and taking note!)

PH

You deserve to wallow in this praise after your 2 post-Cuba threads...

Keep em coming.

Ben P

Concise - thanks PH. Pollen patty, commercial patty mix, maybe even Hedgerow Pete's yeast monster! As my bees will (oops 'may') be upsizing to 14x12 (they don't know it yet!) I have a bag of FeedBee to tempt them into action. Research into this product on the forum seemed to be 'inconclusive'. Even mixed messages about the use of pea flour (and whether this really is an ingredient of FeedBee).

I'll give it a go, as I think it's important to get them up to speed as far as possible. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. By the way, the supplier also had a 'CandiPolline' offering, which seems to be fondant with hydrolised milk protein. I doubt whether it would benefit as the protein content is low and I seem to recall reading that the bees have problems digesting MP. Any experience here?

Great post PH, but perhaps you could clarify this point- what tells you that it is OK once again to feed syrup? I'm keen to boost my girls on as quickly as possible, so I can make increase in early summer, but I don't want them to suffer from my enthusiasm. :drool5:

Also- is it a good idea to thymolise syrup for spring feeding?

Last edited:
Great post PH, but perhaps you could clarify this point- what tells you that it is OK once again to feed syrup? I'm keen to boost my girls on as quickly as possible, so I can make increase in early summer, but I don't want them to suffer from my enthusiasm. :drool5:

Shameless bump, in the hopes of a reply?

Why is it good? I cannot see any idea in it. Thymol has been used over 50 years but spring feeding recommendations I have not seen.

Last edited:
Sadly the answer is experience.

All depends on temperature and when the average is getting to 12 or so then like this afternoon it's time.

I give a suppie of syrup and a slap of pattie. Henceforth know as slurp and slap.

I defy you to forget that. LOL

I use frame feeders (and the disturbance argument is frankly a nonsense) and I give per week less than a pint per colony. You do not want that syrup taking up space. You want to to be used to assist in brooding. And the syrup is at 1:1 ratio. One pound per pint of water or one kilo per litre of water. No more than that and even a little less is ok.

Pollen we have discussed.

I will do another post on working the brood. Just a bit early for that yet anyway.

PH

Back