Split sugar bags from Tesco

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
Some people have been able to get split bags of sugar from Tesco because they asked the manager nicely. One poster said that their local manager wanted to know which other Tesco stores were already giving split bags to beekeepers because he did not want to be the first to do so.

Before I speak to my local store I would like to be able to tell the manager which stores already help out in this way. Is there anyone out there who is willing to say which stores give them the split bags? You can PM me if you prefer.

Has anyone made any similar arrangements with Iceland supermarkets?

Thanks.

Hope you have better luck than me with Morrisons - I asked about the split sugar bags and apparently they are fed back to the staff in the canteen...... and I have also seen split bags taped over and sold marginally reduced at same store...

Hope you have better luck than me with Morrisons - I asked about the split sugar bags and apparently they are fed back to the staff in the canteen...... and I have also seen split bags taped over and sold marginally reduced at same store...

I had the same response in two different Tescos. The poor employee at Customer Services who relayed the message to me was aghast!

I can well believe it. MOH worked in Tesco but left some years ago. Shame I might have been lucky.

I had the same answer from my local Co-Op, you know, the 'Bee Campaign' people!! They are all as tight as aerosols IMHO!
Maybee we should shop them to the health people for using it in their canteens. Can't bee healthy for the employees surely only, for my bee-smillie!

I asked both my local Tesco and Booths ( a local supermarket group) and they oth said "sorry, we use the splits in the staff canteen"!

I got a similar response from both my local Tescos and Morrisons.
Morrisons saying that they also used sugar from split bags in their apple pies.

I also wondered how the Environmental Health would react to that.

Asked at the local Asda , the (jobs worth) manager told me it was company policy not to give away any food stuff due to potential litigation. I told him my bees were not that type but fell on deaf ears.

I wrote to the local Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons.

Got a nice email back from Sainburys saying sorry but no and heard nothing from the others!

our local independent supermarket chain (currently being taken over :( ) told me that all the sugar splits get used in the public restaurant! Never felt the need to partake of its culinary skills (or even tea!)...

try taking in your local bee club membership and a little info about sugar syrup might work i work as a driver in one store in protsmouth and i know my sm will sell to me cheaply but i am staff but he may if you produce the goods and speak to them personaly not through customer services look for the people without uniform and wearing id badges normaly in the morning when the shop is opening

Hey sus bees......do you men Harry T!??? My local one wouldn't give me any but luckily they don't have a restaurant! Tesc. At Llandrindod said they would ring me but never did. Gave up after that.
E

Asked... much the same response as asking for cracked eggs, broken biscuits, stale bread.... or a £1.00 out of the till!

Thanks for all the replies. Does not look hopeful does it though I know some on this forum get split sugar, just seems they have not seen this thread. I don't drink tea/coffee but I have learned not to eat in Supermarket cafes from now on. Ta.

Thanks rockdoc. Could you also give me an idea of how much sugar might be involved in case I run into storeage problems? Also I usually gift some honey to people who help my beekeeping, but seems odd to do that to a supermarket. What do you think?

Our local Tesco in South Glos is excellent, and helps us by donating all split bags of granulated and caster sugar to our local association.....the young manager will, in due course be rewarded with a jar of honey. We consider ourselves very lucky.
Our other local supermarkets don't want to know.

Thanks for that JCD. I am having a think now. Ta.

A word of caution regarding Tesco l have noticed they are selling a lot of half spoon sugar and I would not be happy if that got into any syrup for the bees.

Latest posts

Back