Split sugar bags from Tesco

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's wrong with half spoon sugar?

I once asked at the local Tesco's fish counter if I could buy the tops and tails from dressed fish to bait my crab pots with.

"Can't do that" came the reply, "it still belongs to the customer ... they've paid for all of the fish."

"So what do you do with it ?"

"We chuck it away."

LJ

I once asked at the local Tesco's fish counter if I could buy the tops and tails from dressed fish to bait my crab pots with.

"Can't do that" came the reply, "it still belongs to the customer ... they've paid for all of the fish."

"So what do you do with it ?"

"We chuck it away."

LJ
Annoys me intensely that fish is weighed with heads and tails on, I don't know many people willing to eat a fish that tries to 'stare you out' on your plate.
S

What's wrong with half spoon sugar?

Aspartame and Ascesleflame-K are proven neurotoxins and many proffesionals have tried to make people aware of this but the main stream media are blocking this info:sifone: I wonder how many millions this sh#t is worth! just like Flouride sold as a health product whereas its destroys that which it purportedly helps, I saw what Aspartame does in the neurology ward 16 years ago, a comatose teenager addicted to diet Co#a this was around the time it was first diagnosed, and discovered as the cause of many horrendous illnesses, where there is big bucks to be made from a waste product produced during another process of manufacture those who lust for the big bucks will fascilitate its sale come what may.
:rant::rant:

Annoys me intensely that fish is weighed with heads and tails on, I don't know many people willing to eat a fish that tries to 'stare you out' on your plate.
S

Whitebait Yum!

It's 99.x% sugar and the rest aspartame and acesulfame-K to double the sweetness.

I have just checked out a bag of this half spoon on my way home as I was sure you must be wrong at 99% sugar but its right but I am now confused as they claim it to be half the calories??

Either way the sweetener I understand is bad news.

I have just checked out a bag of this half spoon on my way home as I was sure you must be wrong at 99% sugar but its right but I am now confused as they claim it to be half the calories??

Either way the sweetener I understand is bad news.

Aspartame is 200 times sweeter than sucrose, according to Wikipedia. So a mixture of 99.5% sugar and 0.5% aspartame would be twice (OK, 1.995 times) as sweet as sugar and you could do the work of two teaspoons with one, but still be crunchy and nice, is the idea. God knows what happens when you caramelize things etc.

Sainsburys said:

Thank you for your email of the 12th September addressed to our store manager Mr Xxxxxxx concerning our unsaleable white sugar.

At Sainsbury's as part of our policy for respecting the environment we aim to be the UK 's greenest grocer, which is great for our business but even better for the environment.

Sainsbury's has become the UK 's largest anaerobic digestion (AD) retailer in a groundbreaking agreement with Biffa. Food waste is collected from Sainsbury's stores and sent to distribution centres across the UK, this waste is then collected by Biffa to be processed and produce renewable energy to power homes and businesses.

None of the food waste from Sainsbury's supermarkets is sent to landfill. Sainsburys limits the amount of food waste it produces through good stock control and accurate sales forecasting and every store is monitored on the amounts of waste it produces to ensure that this is kept to a minimum.

With our commitment to that above scheme we have no surplus products that we could donate to you and we are therefore unable to help with your request.

Regards

Aspartame is 200 times sweeter than sucrose, according to Wikipedia. So a mixture of 99.5% sugar and 0.5% aspartame would be twice (OK, 1.995 times) as sweet as sugar and you could do the work of two teaspoons with one, but still be crunchy and nice, is the idea. God knows what happens when you caramelize things etc.

That’s how it works. Thanks.

Aspartame and Ascesleflame-K are proven neurotoxins and many proffesionals have tried to make people aware of this but the main stream media are blocking this info:sifone: I wonder how many millions this sh#t is worth! just like Flouride sold as a health product whereas its destroys that which it purportedly helps, I saw what Aspartame does in the neurology ward 16 years ago, a comatose teenager addicted to diet Co#a this was around the time it was first diagnosed, and discovered as the cause of many horrendous illnesses, where there is big bucks to be made from a waste product produced during another process of manufacture those who lust for the big bucks will fascilitate its sale come what may.
:rant::rant:

Can you point me in the direction that prove aspartame is a neurotoxin. I have had a quick look at the literature and in indicates quite the opposite (i.e. there is no evidence). If true I will stop the kids drinking there fizzy drink that seem to all contain aspartame.

I have a (new) black heavy duty rubbish bin in our local Tesco by their crusher which they put damaged sugar in for me. Large label with pictures shows them what they should and shouldn't put in. Promised some honey in return.

Bookers sold me a 25kg bag for £7.50 but apparently a local 'bee farmer' normally buys it for a tenner...

So keep trying!

Can you point me in the direction that prove aspartame is a neurotoxin. I have had a quick look at the literature and in indicates quite the opposite (i.e. there is no evidence). If true I will stop the kids drinking there fizzy drink that seem to all contain aspartame.

I used to drink large quantities of diet lemonade containing aspartame, and eventually developed the most appalling tinnitus. Did a Google, found some anecdotal evidence about a possible connection - stopped drinking the diet drinks: tinnitus ceased. Played at being a human guinea pig and started drinking said diet drinks again, tinnitus returned.

Have now stopped ingestion of as many products containing aspartame as possible - but it ain't easy - the damned stuff is 'everywhere'.

So why use it - when sugar would do ? There must be commercial reasons for including it. An unnecessary additive, in my view.

LJ

Oh yes - you wanted a link. Try this: http://www.wnho.net/aspartame_tinnitus_connection.htm

If you Google "aspartame tinnitus" you'll find lots more.

Last edited:
Sainsburys said:

Thank you for your email of the 12th September addressed to our store manager Mr Xxxxxxx concerning our unsaleable white sugar.

At Sainsbury's as part of our policy for respecting the environment we aim to be the UK 's greenest grocer, which is great for our business but even better for the environment.

Sainsbury's has become the UK 's largest anaerobic digestion (AD) retailer in a groundbreaking agreement with Biffa. Food waste is collected from Sainsbury's stores and sent to distribution centres across the UK, this waste is then collected by Biffa to be processed and produce renewable energy to power homes and businesses.

None of the food waste from Sainsbury's supermarkets is sent to landfill. Sainsburys limits the amount of food waste it produces through good stock control and accurate sales forecasting and every store is monitored on the amounts of waste it produces to ensure that this is kept to a minimum.

With our commitment to that above scheme we have no surplus products that we could donate to you and we are therefore unable to help with your request.

Regards
Complete tosh - standard 'broken biscuit' letter.

I used to drink large quantities of diet lemonade containing aspartame, and eventually developed the most appalling tinnitus.

i used to drink vast quantities of red kite thunderbird real ale - that gave me an appalling ringing in the ears as well - do you think they used artificial sweeteners in it?

i used to drink vast quantities of red kite thunderbird real ale - that gave me an appalling ringing in the ears as well - do you think they used artificial sweeteners in it?

Don't know but blue triangle bass used to upset my sense of balance so badly I sometimes fell down. It also interfered with my speech centre causing me to talk broken biscuits. I don't think aspartame had been invented in those days.

Have now stopped ingestion of as many products containing aspartame as possible - but it ain't easy - the damned stuff is 'everywhere'.

So why use it - when sugar would do ? There must be commercial reasons for including it. An unnecessary additive, in my view.

The trouble is that the 'diet' industry is massive ... and people have become accustomed to drinking fizzy drinks. The reality is that it's much better to drink water or massively diluted squash than drink either the sugar laden 'non diet' drinks or risk the side affects of the various artificial sweeteners in the 'diet' variants - they all have problems attached to them and don't even start on artificial colourants !!!

Unfortunately, when you look at the number of calories in the non-diet varieties of fizzy drinks and the number of children you see guzzling them it's no wonder that there is an obesity problem in our young people ... and if you want to see the future then just look to the USA !!

Latest posts

Back