Sore finger tips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the skin blistering? May be worth trying either latex free gloves or some cotton liners.
No there not blistering but i suppose they get rather sweaty and on occasions I get the odd hole so when I clean them in between inspecting hives small amounts of washing soda gets in , I change them regularly to stop this but the sweatiness is bad

Because you have quite a few hives, and are working hard, you'll end up with quite a bit of water in the gloves, particularly if it is warm. The moisture could be causing the problem.
As I'm sure you know, they don't breathe, so the water that is constantly leaving your skin is getting trapped and it becomes a sloppy stinking mess in there. It's probably ok if there are just a few hives being manipulated at a time, or if you are just doing something relatively quickly, but if you have a biggish day ahead, I'd use goatskin leather gloves (the leather allows water to escape as vapour) with ventilated mesh on them. You can still disinfect them between hives, but it will destroy the leather more quickly of course.

Another thought is that perhaps you are allergic to something in the gloves?

https://www.satra.com/spotlight/article.php?id=528

I’ve got to say when working a large number of hives I’m not a fan of the rubber gloves. I still like wearing my leather for banging around or fast jobs and I like the disposable type site work gloves. The palm side is sting proof..ish and they’re easy enough to pull on and off for catching queens. There also good enough if putting your hands around boxes and into an unseen bunch of bees a mistake I often make😂 back of the hands can be vulnerable and wrists if your dealing with a grumpy lot but a great replacement for nitriles!!!!
https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-140...V0NDtCh2cbwnWEAQYASABEgJi4vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

No there not blistering but i suppose they get rather sweaty and on occasions I get the odd hole so when I clean them in between inspecting hives small amounts of washing soda gets in , I change them regularly to stop this but the sweatiness is bad
You can get these (cotton I think?) things called glovelets, that you wear under your gloves and absorb the sweat - really transformed gloved beekeeping for me and give you a little more distance from stings though that's by the by. I getcem from amazon and they don't last that long so I then use em to light my smoker before adding fuel Ince they've worn through

I use cotton gloves that are used for eczema. They do get quite wet but if you have several pairs you could change them as they get wet with sweat. If you have washing soda inside your gloves this will not be good for your skin and will cause problems.

Thanks for the replies everyone I’m now going to change my name to curly red fingers, I’m going to try different gloves that breath a bit more @Ian123 ordering some of these to give them a try.

Maybe not steeping your fingers in washing soda will help!
Aye moving lots of boxes around inspecting it’s hard not to get holes in marigolds, I wonder is there anything else folk use to clean there gloves tools in-between inspections?

would a thing called a 'finger cot' or 'stool' work inside or outside the glove
often used to have my fingers in stools when doing a stint in the custody suite minding 'stuffers and swallowers'
A good pair of gloves was de rigeur in them days.

I’ve got to say when working a large number of hives I’m not a fan of the rubber gloves. I still like wearing my leather for banging around or fast jobs and I like the disposable type site work gloves. The palm side is sting proof..ish and they’re easy enough to pull on and off for catching queens. There also good enough if putting your hands around boxes and into an unseen bunch of bees a mistake I often make😂 back of the hands can be vulnerable and wrists if your dealing with a grumpy lot but a great replacement for nitriles!!!!
https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-140...V0NDtCh2cbwnWEAQYASABEgJi4vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I bought these on your recommendation - but have put them in the gardening gloves box. I don't get stung much through my purple nitriles, but got a couple of stings fairly quickly through these. They don't work for me.

I bought these on your recommendation - but have put them in the gardening gloves box. I don't get stung much through my purple nitriles, but got a couple of stings fairly quickly through these. They don't work for me.
Well that should teach you not to believe all read you read on the Net😉
I think my post covered most points and I didn’t say they are sting proof.
On the other hand I’ve just been in 30 plus colonies and made up 30 nucs for cells inc shaking down every frame in a big cell builder.
Wearing the same gloves as advertised I received 1 sting when I forgot to put them back on.😂

Should also add whilst a bit clammy no sweat or wrinkly fingers and that’s was kinda the point!

Latest posts

Back