Smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use as smoker fuel ?

• Wood Shavings

Votes: 51 9.0%
  • Rotten Wood

Votes: 73 12.9%
  • Egg Box's

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Pine Cones

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Hessian Sack

Votes: 42 7.4%
  • Cardboard

Votes: 112 19.8%
  • Cotton Pellets

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • Wood Pellets

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • A mixture of some of the above

Votes: 160 28.2%
  • Something Else

Votes: 71 12.5%

• Total voters
Dried tea ags? Sounds like a good idea and better than newspaper, even.

Good old fashioned hay in my smoker or dried grass after a cut either will dry and smoke well

I don't use a smoker

It just riles the bees. I use a TBH and minimal intervention. I showed my hives to some conventional beeks and one suggested smoke to drive the bees back in. So I dusted off my smoker (had to find it first!) and tried it. We quickly realised that even if I wanted to use it, there's a fundamental constructional difference between a TBH and a conventional one - smoke normally drives bees down into the gaps between the frames but with a TBH... uh... there isn't one, because you seal up the gaps between bars as you go. So we irritated some bees and they had nowhere to immediately go 8)

When I DO use a smoker is, sometimes, to mask my own smell. In which case I use dried grass (the "something else" in the survey) as the least acrid, irritating smoke I can obtain.

shredded paper with a scud of green grass as a filter to cool the smoke :sifone:

Rough cut hay

We cut and dry very rough hay from a local field, seems to work really well

Why not brambles in it?

I would assume as brambles burn REALLY HOT. They make a great fire, but can imagine it would turn your smoker into a flamethrower.

Collected all the shavings from the chain sawing of this winter's wood pile.

Fuel

I use the shreaded cardboard that is used in boxes from bee suppliers,I also use dried rotten wood,moss and grass.

They tell me herbal C has acalming effect on bees.
VM

Yes VM probably very calming and from my observations (not on bees) they just may sit around eating and talk about lots of work but tomorrow and then perhaps…..:ack2:

Best thing for them being calm is the successful completion of the mating flight.

Works for me, so MUST make sense for them too?

Latest posts

Back