Smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use as smoker fuel ?

• Wood Shavings

Votes: 51 9.0%
  • Rotten Wood

Votes: 73 12.9%
  • Egg Box's

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Pine Cones

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Hessian Sack

Votes: 42 7.4%
  • Cardboard

Votes: 112 19.8%
  • Cotton Pellets

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • Wood Pellets

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • A mixture of some of the above

Votes: 160 28.2%
  • Something Else

Votes: 71 12.5%

• Total voters
just read this thread and I use Dried Horse Manure smolders for ages. I have been using it in a Kelly Kettle for years so the smoker was the obvious next use. Before anyone says anything there is no smell when its dried or burnt.

I've been cutting up logs for the winter and have started using the shaving, start the smoker with egg boxes first and add the shavings, smoker goes on and on does not go out for a good hour and really good smoke by that I mean a cool smoke which is good for the bees

Well I have not use my smoker yet , My bees dont mind me looking at them at all thay must be very friendly I think :confused: no stings yet so all good :)

Just a thought - I notice that th**nes sell "smoker pellets" - quite expensive and looks uncannily like wood pellet cat litter - cheapy cheapy £2.80 for 10 litres from my local supermarket (the green one) might be worth a whirl.... has anyone tried this?
I'll see how it burns and report back.
I do however like the sound of Dr Joe's optima essential oils spray, I googled it, they sell it on bee-smillie bay but it's about the same price as a decent bottle of gin!! hmmm decisions decisions.

i use egg boxes, packed in tight and make sure they are dirty and they last well. I have a plentiful supply of old dirty egg trays so i don't mind having to restoke the smoker.

Topped it off with some dried leylandi clippings for 30 minutes of cool smoke when moving hives on Sunday.

Hi otleybee we use fresh leylandii with some wood on occasion, works well all day long. Try some
ian

I have used cat litter ( unused before some one asks ) for the past couple of seasons. I find it a little hard to light but once lit it burns for a long time.

I guess one of those mini butane blow torches wil be useful for lighting the kitty litter, got one lurking in the back of the cupboard. ( the sort you use in the kitchen to make the top of your creme brulee crunchy!)
ps - johnandyrob - the used stuff makes fab compost!!!!

"What kind of cat litter?"

presumably the paper or compressed sawdust type.

likewise it is possible to use the grass pellets intended as pet food - large sacks are cheap. again difficult to light but smoulders VERY well once going. loads of smoke. just make sure they are molasses free.

I can see that might be a bit of a problem in the late spring and summer.

It will also make you very popular with the OH. :)

Rolled up corrugated cardboard from old parcels the same length and width as my smoker, then stuck with Sellotape. Produces smoke for about 40 mins - 1hr if I'm very lucky.

might be better if you don't use the sellotape, burning plastic isn't ideal for you or the bees. I do the same as you but tie up with string

might be better if you don't use the sellotape, burning plastic isn't ideal for you or the bees.
Sellotape isn't an oil derived plastic. The basic product is cellophane (cellulose from wood/cotton) coated with a latex (natural rubber) adhesive.

Vinyl tape isn't a great idea, nor is polypropylene twine but basic Sellotape is relatively harmless.

Good idea about string. Though I'll probably have to stick it with Sellotape to hold it down whilst I tie the string if my present wrapping is anything to go by!!

Good idea about string. Though I'll probably have to stick it with Sellotape to hold it down whilst I tie the string if my present wrapping is anything to go by!!

What was your wrapping like in the past then? better or worse? :xmas-smiley-033::biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back