Smartwater as possible solution?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw a property with a warning sign up today, Smart water protected.
By the canal which I thought amusing...LOL
PH

A few weeks ago a customer lost 22 frames of brood from two hives and was replaced with frames of foundation??
So he kept his eye on the other hives!
The phone rang telling him, someone had entered the field off he went to have a look shore enough a hooded bee person had the hives open swopping frames.
He ran back to the phone and gave the POLICE details to come straight away to nick him-- her still at it.
3 days later they turned up 2 blokes and a girl to fingerprint and take statements,
On complaining they said there was not the staff available,
The customer shut the door on them telling them to bugger off and not waste his time.

”After thought” he should of told them, (he or she) had a gun and looked as if he was going to use it. They would then turn up in droves helicopters tanks cop cars every where for the chance to shoot a guy.
all the best mike

think you've all missed the point really, its about marking the item so that should the frames be found in/on a persons property then it can be traced back to the rightfull owner. seems now this thread is about having a dig at all the police nationally...try doing my job!!!! its frustrating for me as it is for victims!!!! sorry that all beeks out there have suffered financially, emotionally or otherwise sorry i bothered now perhaps i should leave this forum ?

think you've all missed the point really, its about marking the item so that should the frames be found in/on a persons property then it can be traced back to the rightfull owner.

We did discuss this earlier as I had said What is the point? and Taff rightfully showed me the error of my ways :)

seems now this thread is about having a dig at all the police nationally...try doing my job!!!! its frustrating for me as it is for victims!!!! sorry that all beeks out there have suffered financially, emotionally or otherwise

The thread has wandered somewhat, as they are apt to do............

sorry i bothered now perhaps i should leave this forum ?

Why? Because the thread wandered? Because you thought of a good idea and no-one is bowled over by it? Because people are having a dig at the police in general?
The last time you posted on this was the 3rd of June - nearly 7 weeks ago............. take a :chillpill:

Frisbee

Oh and don't leave............... post more often :grouphug:

Prevention is slightly better than detection after the event. I'm sure that you have a unique viewpoint given your assumed experience in these matters and can contribute enormously.

I'm sure that your mates and colleagues will have told you before now that if you can't take it, then you shouldn't have signed up. I'm confident you are made of much sterner stuff or you wouldn't do the job you do. :grouphug:

I have bee following this thread with interest and have also been investigating methods of providing additional security. I see the main problem is stopping theft, therefore, the hives need to be in a secure/obscure environment. I feel this has already been adequatly covered.

Apart from that, it is down to either making the items undesirable and/or identifiable. If the hives and frames etc were marked in such a way that it would be a lot of work to remove, then it MAY act as a bit of a deterrant, but it is the bees thay are after, so, 1 shook swarm and a bonfire later.....

I have looked at electronic tagging. This can be done very cheaply and provide a very reliable way of identifying a hive (or major component), but all I think it would do in reality is give the buyer a cosy feeling when they buy the kit. In the event of a theft, you need to be in a position of pointing a finger at someone and saying "that is mine and I can prove it" before the technology can pay for itself. Beehives are not like other desirable nickable items that the police stumble across when raiding a suspects property or a stop search. The very nature of a box full of flying stinging objects would make most of our bobbies not look, but run the other way. So I feel we would be very hard pressed to gain a great deal of support in sorting the thefts out.

I will keep looking into possibilities (tracking - out, too expensive and too much current draw to be practicle) exploding dye, open hive without key and Phut - now theres a thought, anyone seen any orange bees beeing looked after by an orange beek?

Fit each hive with four wheels, and a number plate [make up any old number].

Do NOT submit it for an MOT!

If it goes anywhere on a public road, you won't see it for helicopters, Special Patrol Groups, riot police, horses, water cannon, TV crews, and "Incident Commanders"!

John

very true and likely, but dont forget the speeding tickets( cash points) and wheel clamps.

:cheers2:
I have bee following this thread with interest and have also been investigating methods of providing additional security. I see the main problem is stopping theft, therefore, the hives need to be in a secure/obscure environment. I feel this has already been adequatly covered.

Apart from that, it is down to either making the items undesirable and/or identifiable. If the hives and frames etc were marked in such a way that it would be a lot of work to remove, then it MAY act as a bit of a deterrant, but it is the bees thay are after, so, 1 shook swarm and a bonfire later.....

I have looked at electronic tagging. This can be done very cheaply and provide a very reliable way of identifying a hive (or major component), but all I think it would do in reality is give the buyer a cosy feeling when they buy the kit. In the event of a theft, you need to be in a position of pointing a finger at someone and saying "that is mine and I can prove it" before the technology can pay for itself. Beehives are not like other desirable nickable items that the police stumble across when raiding a suspects property or a stop search. The very nature of a box full of flying stinging objects would make most of our bobbies not look, but run the other way. So I feel we would be very hard pressed to gain a great deal of support in sorting the thefts out.

I will keep looking into possibilities (tracking - out, too expensive and too much current draw to be practicle) exploding dye, open hive without key and Phut - now theres a thought, anyone seen any orange bees beeing looked after by an orange beek?

like the first idea, i for one agree, my bees are miles from my house and posted location, me and the landowners only know they are there, and if someone want to buy bees or have a look inside, i move one(or more) to my allotment and move back when finshed.
And i love the last bit, exploding dye lovely (blue dye as bees are attracted to blue??)
lmao

Ok, not smartwater, but its option used these guys for a job some years back,
http://www.insight-security.com/prm-dnasystems.htm
Also simplicity at its best, my father sugests getting a small pen gas torch, very cheap, and do some pyography! Initials, your own code etc, marked on each hive section in a out of the way place.

barcode.aspx

http://www.tec-it.com/online-demos/tbarcode/barcode-generator.aspx?LANG=en

Barcodes? I'm just throwing ideas out here! hope I got some cogs grinding!

Last edited:
Also simplicity at its best, my father sugests getting a small pen gas torch, very cheap, and do some pyography! Initials, your own code etc, marked on each hive section in a out of the way place.

Good idea. We've starting stamping our postcode on out of the way places on hive parts. Not obvious unless you know where to look and what you're looking for

bee-smillie

our postcode on out of the way places

Good idea if you want to apprehend them. But won't stop them taking your hives in the fiirst place, though.

Might be better to do it large and clear. It would not prevent the theft perhaps, but the potential robbers might think twice if they know the hives are worthless to them, or there was a lot of work to do to conceal the information.

Like when the trade in stolen cars used to be so much easier - not so good if all the window glass had to be changed instead of just the number plates.

Regards, RAB

Had another thought, the bees themselfs are the best deterrent,
If you use one of those electronic pest control devices, the type to scare the cats and such from the garden, rigged to a trip wire, or the hive itself, so when a miscreant tries to move it the bees will become seriously aggitated, possibly enough to deter or at least slow them down, and draw major attention to them.
I know those electro cat jobbies p*** off bees first hand, sure I don't like having to annoy them but if it stops them getting stolen.....

A liquid with a unique DNA code specific to your equipment. You need a UV lamp to find the liquid. It is very difficult to remove, in fact nearly impossible. If you get it on the skin it will stain and is detectable via UV, it takes months to get off the skin.
A fantastic bit of technology.

did anyone mention those security 'micro' dots you can sprinkle over electronics? I would have thought a pinch in the top runner of each BB and super would mark them for life once the bees work them in.

maybe this has been mentioned :)

Derbyshire police force this Summer has been giving out free smartwater for its local beeks to use (due to the thefts), but sadly that pot of money has come to an end - for insurance purposes I have been asked to use smartwater and will be applying it over the coming weeks.

JD

Tongue in cheek, but . . .

If you were to liberally spray your bees and combs with smart water, would it perhaps show up as trace elements in the honey and would this allow extended tracking of stolen property?

I like to keep an open mind, but think my brain cell may have been stolen by an opportunist thief . . . :cheers2:

hmm never thought of that one! not sure even what the advice is regards the location to place the smartwater - i was thinking in the brood box and on a side rail corner

Although its been mentioned before preventative measures are better than marking them,

Lets say the stolen hives are found and the owner charged, 1yr later the hives could well be still in a evidence storafe somewhere in the bowels of a police station, case is waiting to go to vourt and 'you' the owner is still without the hives,

you may have already replaced, you may have given up with no interest to start again.
-
The only solution i can see is preventative, disguised hives (rather than having them white i have mine green/brown)
security - im working on a cord that if broken sounds a alarm, thorn bushes with thorns the size of a finger in various locations around the hives making it difficult for someone to carry a hive in the dark to a waiting vehicle,
Ive invested in some geese who roam around the hive area to raise a alarm,
-
Im also working on other solutions - but doesmt help though where the law has adv i need to put my address on a Honey label :( nice advert to say come and steal my hives imo.
Tbh relying on the law to help prevent crime is a waste , they may eventually catch them but the punitive measures dished out are not a deterant

Latest posts

Back