slugs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slugs love old beer.
Dig a hole and put a jam jar or plastic tub and fill it half full with bitter.
They drown in it.
You have to empty it every day.

I was told if you use slug pellets, it best to throw them over your next door neighbors garden and the slug will go there it eat them.:)

I've used nematodes and they worked for me. You could also set up slug collection places. I put cardboard on the ground not in cultivation and along some of the paths. The slugs seem to be draw under it, I just collect them up and chuck them to the chickens :)

Sounds a good idea Peteinuk, I have the cardboard, can you give me range and direction information for your chooks please? :) :) :)

mind you don't hit him in the eye ! 1066 and all that, (Hastings) :)

Ah well, pointy slugs and the weather is getting colder making them stiffer, like arrows.
Just imagine a gas operated slug gun with a 22mm plastic barrel for shooting the slug collection a few gardens away. To the ones with all the veg but no bee forage! :toetap05:

I like the colour

Nah, I like the other green. That's why people call me Oliver when it is actually Richard!

Regards, RAB

Quote - It's hard being green ... ......... - Kermit the frog.

getting back to the thread.....I surrounded my veg patch with a copper wire mesh purchased 2 years ago from Lidl. I also used nematodes the same year whish cut the numbers of keel slugs significantly. This year, being alot dryer I didn't use the mesh just a few slug pellets. I found about the same number of big slugs but very few keel slugs...which would suggest the treatment the year before hit their numbers.

I'll probably be embarressed next year when the slug population triples and my potatoes are reduced to mush...

I bought a big bag of oyster grit from a farm shop. It was about 25kg for about £7.

the nice course stuff is quite sharp and slugs don't like travelling over a liberal sprinkling. It does not kill them, they just don't like it....

... and it's cheap!

Latest posts

Back