Skip diving 2024

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumble Bee Slim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having just been added as a new discipline to the next Olympics ( Sauter la Plongee), what are your best achievements , apis related obviously ?
I rececently acquired a wheelbarrow frame from a skip that contained what was left after a shed caught alight ( they caught the two little fire flies responsible I hasten to add)and it is now my new " bee barrow " and from another two expeditions to a different skip in the village, retrieved enough timber to make half a dozen deep ekes, four landing boards (because I like them even if the girls aren't particularly bothered) and one new two hive stand.
Anyone else?

There's a place in the local "town" that makes the sort of shepherd's huts that shepherds can't afford. They put all their waste timber out by the side of the road for anyone who wants it. Mostly it's only good for kindling for the woodburners, but occasionally there's some sheet material. I'm waiting for something suitable for making a few dummy boards, but generally it's all OSB and I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing to be putting inside a beehive.

Living in a farming community, pretty much no-one has skips around here. Almost anything left over from any project gets put in a shed "in case it comes in useful sometime" (which is how I ended up making a load of hoops to support the insect netting in my veggie plot last year from 30m of imperial-size MDPE water pipe).

James

There's a place in the local "town" that makes the sort of shepherd's huts that shepherds can't afford. They put all their waste timber out by the side of the road for anyone who wants it. Mostly it's only good for kindling for the woodburners, but occasionally there's some sheet material. I'm waiting for something suitable for making a few dummy boards, but generally it's all OSB and I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing to be putting inside a beehive.

Living in a farming community, pretty much no-one has skips around here. Almost anything left over from any project gets put in a shed "in case it comes in useful sometime" (which is how I ended up making a load of hoops to support the insect netting in my veggie plot last year from 30m of imperial-size MDPE water pipe).

James

I've used 9mm OSB for dummy boards for at least ten years with no apparent issues.

I've used 9mm OSB for dummy boards for at least ten years with no apparent issues.

That's reassuring. I've read that OSB may off-gas some unpleasant stuff though I've never been able to find anything definitive and wasn't really happy about taking the risk.

How do you join the OSB to the top bar? And do you treat it in any way before use?

Thanks,
James

Having just been added as a new discipline to the next Olympics ( Sauter la Plongee), what are your best achievements , apis related obviously ?
I rececently acquired a wheelbarrow frame from a skip that contained what was left after a shed caught alight ( they caught the two little fire flies responsible I hasten to add)and it is now my new " bee barrow " and from another two expeditions to a different skip in the village, retrieved enough timber to make half a dozen deep ekes, four landing boards (because I like them even if the girls aren't particularly bothered) and one new two hive stand.
Anyone else?
I'm looking forwards to the end of this bloody covid, mainly so as there's loads of perspex free to grab from all the safety screens no longer needed

Pi, that should make Chris Whitty's charts interesting 🤣

Not sure but I quite fancy the use of the 9th letter "iota" !

I believe that will already have been used though. I'm sure I read that they've gone through the alphabet in order for new mutations, but that many of them haven't become "variants of interest" or "variants of concern" or whatever it is they're called, so we never got to hear about them.

James

I believe that will already have been used though. I'm sure I read that they've gone through the alphabet in order for new mutations, but that many of them haven't become "variants of interest" or "variants of concern" or whatever it is they're called, so we never got to hear about them.

James
In my ignorance I didn't realise that, I thought they just put all the letters into a hat and drew them out as a raffle at one of their parties.

That's reassuring. I've read that OSB may off-gas some unpleasant stuff though I've never been able to find anything definitive and wasn't really happy about taking the risk.

How do you join the OSB to the top bar? And do you treat it in any way before use?

Thanks,
James

I seal the edges with PVA then glue & nail a top bar on.
9mm will fit nicely where the wedge sits.

I doubt they would use Xi though

Xi was skipped as WHO decided it might offend some people somewhere. And Mu was skipped as it was deemed to sound too much like "new"

Has anyone seen the price of timber in the DIY sheds recently? I suspect it will never go back down. I will deffo be investigating any skips I see for timber scraps.

I’ve rescued some really good timber and PIR recently. Have a new stand for my new apiary made from a piece of 6x2” salvaged from a neighbour’s skip. Found some 1930’s doors which had seen better days and they are now ufe’s! I would never have dreamt of skip diving pre bee keeping.

Has anyone seen the price of timber in the DIY sheds recently? I suspect it will never go back down. I will deffo be investigating any skips I see for timber scraps.

Scary increase ... I had to buy a 2400 x 600 length of 22mm chipboard flooring to replace a section in the bathroom ... I could not find any 22mm anywhere and eventually bought 18mm ... £21 !! The last piece I bought before Covid was £13 ... Someone is taking advantage of the shortages to jack the prices up.

Latest posts

Back