Skip diving 2024

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To clarify what I posted a little later, I've read that OSB (specifically the glues used to make it) can off-gas some unpleasant stuff and I wasn't sure it would be safe for the bees nor that I'd want it contaminating honey. I've not found anything definitive though. On this occasion I thought it wiser to err on the side of caution.

James

To clarify what I posted a little later, I've read that OSB (specifically the glues used to make it) can off-gas some unpleasant stuff and I wasn't sure it would be safe for the bees nor that I'd want it contaminating honey. I've not found anything definitive though. On this occasion I thought it wiser to err on the side of caution.

James
I know many people who have made nucs from OSB and, you will find that the majority of hives for sale with the big suppliers have their roofs made from OSB, so I think you can chill on that one 😁 In fact I've got quite a few OSB dummy boards which I've never bothered with sealing the cut ends.

Not many left now,
But still have a couple OSB hives that came from Ged Marshall, and five, plywood hives.
Both types are excruciating heavy.

Occasionally skip dive for PIR but have too much since I found an entire sheet of the 12cm stuff on the side of the local dual carriageway. Main source of wood is pallets, a company nearby often has plywood ones and occasionally very nice ones with planks just the right width and thickness for supers.

I live to far away to go skip diving, but on more than one occasion the local travelers dump stuff up here, had myself a wheel barrow some pir and some old records not that long ago.
One of the records was " seasons in the sun" on a 45.

I live to far away to go skip diving, but on more than one occasion the local travelers dump stuff up here, had myself a wheel barrow some pir and some old records not that long ago.
One of the records was " seasons in the sun" on a 45.
....."we have joy,we have fun,we have"...... terrible record give it back to them !

Having just been added as a new discipline to the next Olympics ( Sauter la Plongee), what are your best achievements , apis related obviously ?
I rececently acquired a wheelbarrow frame from a skip that contained what was left after a shed caught alight ( they caught the two little fire flies responsible I hasten to add)and it is now my new " bee barrow " and from another two expeditions to a different skip in the village, retrieved enough timber to make half a dozen deep ekes, four landing boards (because I like them even if the girls aren't particularly bothered) and one new two hive stand.
Anyone else?
I’ve had some kingspan for insulating the top of my hives. I asked the chap who owned the house if it was ok to take it from the skip, he thanked me for asking and helped cut it up with his bandsaw. I always drop in that I’m a beekeeper, people are usually interested and supportive
My best find last season which causes a lot of eye rolling from hubby, was a huge stack of egg boxes plonked next to a council waste bin. Absolutely great for getting your smoker started.

A Nutcracker?
Something for Alice Roberts? She'll be able to reconstruct a whole village round it
I don't know it has three sets of groves maybe for bending pipe?
And it looks like it was attached to something flat maybe a bench?
Alice Roberts?

If I need more hive stands the local BUILDBASE merchant has a pile of suitable timber in various sizes piled in a corner of his yard that he is keen to give away. Made several over the years.

Prof Alice Robert’s- biological anthropologist
Something like blue peter? I once saw a comedian relating how the blue peter team created a scale model of the Taj mahal out of an old pair of val singletons knickers. I suspect it contained an element of artistic licence.😀
On another tack I once heard an Elvis Presley mimic singing a version of in the ghetto but the words " there's prunes and plums and chocolate bits, tastes pretty nice but it gives you the sh**s" it formed an ear worm which reawakes from time to time. 😎

There's a place in the local "town" that makes the sort of shepherd's huts that shepherds can't afford. They put all their waste timber out by the side of the road for anyone who wants it. Mostly it's only good for kindling for the woodburners, but occasionally there's some sheet material. I'm waiting for something suitable for making a few dummy boards, but generally it's all OSB and I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing to be putting inside a beehive.

Living in a farming community, pretty much no-one has skips around here. Almost anything left over from any project gets put in a shed "in case it comes in useful sometime" (which is how I ended up making a load of hoops to support the insect netting in my veggie plot last year from 30m of imperial-size MDPE water pipe).

James
Used OSB for floors and roofs with no issues - not killed any bees in 5 years. (I use woodstain to seal it)

A local recycles good pallets as boards - all cleaned up. £0.50 each. 20mm thick x 1.5m x 90mm.
Five are enough for a national 5 frame nuc..

Something like blue peter? I once saw a comedian relating how the blue peter team created a scale model of the Taj mahal out of an old pair of val singletons knickers. I suspect it contained an element of artistic licence.😀
On another tack I once heard an Elvis Presley mimic singing a version of in the ghetto but the words " there's prunes and plums and chocolate bits, tastes pretty nice but it gives you the sh**s" it formed an ear worm which reawakes from time to time. 😎
No she is a scientist, does forensic work too. Appears on the tv occasionally presenting archeology programs

a scale model of the Taj mahal out of an old pair of val singletons knickers. I suspect it contained an element of artistic licence
Amongst other things :oops:...........................................

Latest posts

Back