Should we expect an early swarm season this year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which means nothing in this country as its always wrong and as i have mentioned to you before the weather can be different only 12mile away.

:iagree:
Often a lot less than 12 miles. Small country but such a wide range of weather

I don't understand what you are saying: the Carniolans I have are the best bees I have ever had. You must have some ropey old bees there Finman

Only different climate

And I am not going to kill your Carnis.

Good heavens. So much weathers cannot exist!

Actually they do. Here in sunny Portsmouth we enjoy a warm microclimate.
With the warm winds coming off the sea and the southdowns behind us, it is not unusual for it to be snowing and freezing the other side of the hill, and fine here.

Anyway, so far this winter we have had 2 days below zero, the rest is all averaging 10 degrees.

And last year none of my 3 colonies tried to swarm, so I think I can guarantee they will this year. But that's ok, I just got a load of extra hives :)

:iagree:
Often a lot less than 12 miles. Small country but such a wide range of weather

I think that question is about microclimate. Weather is something bigger and it arises from high and low pressures. Weather frontiers move all the time and weather changes every day in the same point.

I can go down to the bottom of river bank 200 yards, and I cannot say that there is different "weather". There is different temperature, but not weather.

It is like in the sun and in the shadow. They are not different "weathers"

We have weather stations here and there, but I can drive with car 3 miles and look how temp changes along the route. Differency is easily 5 C but it is not weather thing. If wind is strong, it mixes temp layers.

Actually they do. Here in sunny Portsmouth we enjoy a warm microclimate.
With the warm winds coming off the sea and the southdowns behind us, it is not unusual for it to be snowing and freezing the other side of the hill, and fine here.

Anyway, so far this winter we have had 2 days below zero, the rest is all averaging 10 degrees :)

That happens in every country. Britain is not special in that meaning.

Wind blows more in open field than inside the forest. Sandy areas are warmer than clay areas. Asphalt is warmer than lawn. I cannot image what amazing is in that. Sea shore is colder than inner land. And so on.

When we talk about bees, and weather acts in differen places, move the hives in such places, which is good.

I can fight against weather, when I choose the rape fields, which are not easy to dry up in hot weather. I can see too, how water stays on the field, and how it spoils the growth of rape plants.

I must shoose places, where I get a yield even if weathers are hot or rainy. It is not only weather which affects on yield. It is soil too and vegetation, how it reacts in different weathers. And now we speak about summer weathers, and not about every day weather.

And there are places, where you must admit, that "I cannot keep bees here".

I cannot forecast the yield season weathers. I must choose places where I will propably succeed. I even choosed my cottage place so, where I would have good luck in beekeeping.

It is like fisherman. He goes to fish on sea, but not onto corn field. To keep bees is the same thing.

where to put hives, your experince helps more than anything else. I cannot read it from book. But I have got basic knowledge from books, how I make my findings. And university education is good in this. At least it does not make me more stupid like many guys try to say so.

The best teacher is trial and error. Even earth worm learns via trial and error.

Last edited:
That happens in every country. Britain is not special in that meaning.

Wind blows more in open field than inside the forest. Sandy areas are warmer than clay areas. Asphalt is warmer than lawn. I cannot image what amazing is in that. Sea shore is colder than inner land. And so on.

When we talk about bees, and weather acts in differen places, move the hives in such places, which is good.

I can fight against weather, when I choose the rape fields, which are not easy to dry up in hot weather. I can see too, how water stays on the field, and how it spoils the growth of rape plants.

I must shoose places, where I get a yield even if weathers are hot or rainy. It is not only weather which affects on yield. It is soil too and vegetation, how it reacts in different weathers. And now we speak about summer weathers, and not about every day weather.

And there are places, where you must admit, that "I cannot keep bees here".

I cannot forecast the yield season weathers. I must choose places where I will propably succeed. I even choosed my cottage place so, where I would have good luck in beekeeping.

It is like fisherman. He goes to fish on sea, but not onto corn field. To keep bees is the same thing.

where to put hives, your experince helps more than anything else. I cannot read it from book. But I have got basic knowledge from books, how I make my findings. And university education is good in this. At least it does not make me more stupid like many guys try to say so.

The best teacher is trial and error. Even earth worm learns via trial and error.

I beg to differ, over here there was folk water skiing in fields 2 weeks ago,:D

Latest posts

Back