Should I cover the feed holes?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Im not sure whether to cover the feed holes in the crown board now I have stopped feeding them.

Bees have plenty of stores.

Do I leave them open for ventilation or cover them over with some wood?

Cliff

I do not think that it matters a great deal. I would leave them open if you are on solid floors. If you are using OMF you might want to close them off, but if it were me I would leave them open for the duration of the 'bee season', closing them off in autumn.

An open crownboard can be a good indication of when you need to add a super because some bees will build a tongue of comb to the roof when they are ready to expand..

An open crownboard can be a good indication of when you need to add a super because some bees will build a tongue of comb to the roof when they are ready to expand..

alternative viewpoint

A closed crownboard enables the bees to regulate their own temperature, and probably leads to less bees needing to keep broodnest warm ( so they can have larger brood area with less bees)

reduce the size of hole
I had some crown boards with 2 holes cut to take the large oval Porter escapes
used for clearing, came with inserts that fit exactly, with one with a 1/2" round hole for a feeder?
they were MD so gave them away! + a load of Queen Excluders etc.....

See I do have a nice side!
(SWMBO says I am a sarky s*d)

Hi, cover the holes with scrap bits of ply wood or you will get the bees making comb in the roof area and it ends up a bit messy when trying to remove the roof and crown board on your next inspection, bees will ventilate the hive.

Avoid congestion in the first place and it becomes irrelevant whether the hole is open or closed. If it's a good strong colony then don't skimp on the supers. With a good sustained flow they will fill a super in less than a week. So 2 empty supers or more is a good idea so the bees have room to spare.

n.b. I've highlighted the "if" above. Differerent priorities for small colonies/nucs.

I use a bit of varro mesh and pin it down with drawing pins. If its to draughty, the bees will close it with propolis.

Not such a silly idea Silly Bee......

Now what do you think about the bee escapes in the WBC roof ?, some of mine are open others closed off with the v mesh / perf. zinc.
I do get the odd bee fly out when I have lifted the roof, but can never find out how they get into the outer body, I have also seen the little ladies attempt to go in that way !

Latest posts

Back