God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer french beans so we stopped growing runners.
I like french beans too - but 'er indoors prefers runners so I grow both - usually Cobra - five or six plants on a wigwam will feed an army ! They are climbers and seem to do much better for me than dwarf ones .. They freeze really well as well. I think the key to growing good beans is lots of compost in the soil ... and big crops are encouraged by regular picking,

Our quinces are way too hard to eat fresh but interested in how you bake them and eat them
My mother bakes the apples at 150°C until they turn a toasted color. If they are acidic, remove the stem and make a conical cut in the upper part that you fill with a little sugar.
I suppose that for quinces it will be similar.
In Galicia, quince jelly is made to accompany cheese. The sweet is made similar to a jam but more consistent due to the pectin.

Our quinces are way too hard to eat fresh but interested in how you bake them and eat them
Washing quinces, then put them dry on cooking paper in backing plate - in the oven. Temperature first at 200C then later reduce to 180C. They will get some brownish color, but real test when they are baked is to just stab with fork - if is still hard, let it bake for some time. When they are finished they get soft inside ( after peeling off, we eat them with small spoon later).
Right now we have cooked pears on our table ( some old variety - when fresh hard as rock and odd taste, but when cooked so tasty and sweet).. As I said autumn is here..

Latest posts

Back