Should I Be Concerned (Mould)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
It is the first year of using Polyhives so i am not sure if this is normal , the two poly hives have mould appearing on each corner of the crown board and there is a small amount of water on the corners of the inspection tray's, the crown board on the wooden hive with the cosy on is bone dry, they have no top ventilation at all so is it wise to pull the inspection tray out a little bit on the poly hives to try and help with the circulation a little.. ? .
Cheers
Steve.

Take the inspection tray right out....is what I would do
If you think the poly hive needs protection from underneath set it on a hive stand with a solid top and clear out the junk every few days. That way you have ventilation and no droughts.

Take the inspection tray right out....is what I would do
If you think the poly hive needs protection from underneath set it on a hive stand with a solid top and clear out the junk every few days. That way you have ventilation and no droughts.

Thank you.
You have given me an idea, i will take all the inspection trays out and pin some green debris netting around the legs of the hive stand, the netting will slow the strong drafts but still allow air flow.

Mould this early in winter?

Insufficient ventilation. :svengo:

How do you know it's there, been poking them about in the cold?:nono:

Personally I would have left that to next year. The foundation probably won't be drawn out now, even though my bees were building comb not so long back and there is a risk you may damage the queens, which is never a good idea this time of year. But they are your bees and you do as you see fit.

Personally I would have left that to next year. The foundation probably won't be drawn out now, even though my bees were building comb not so long back and there is a risk you may damage the queens, which is never a good idea this time of year. But they are your bees and you do as you see fit.

I think, in fact I’m almost certain, Millet is joking

New to the forum it seems.

Latest posts

Back