Shop bought - Raid Fly And Wasp Killer 300Ml - Stick on HOUSE NO FLY SPRAY ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einsteinagogo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
enough (but all insured!)
This is from a post yesterday, at trying to convince a swarm of bees to go into bait boxes....in a local neighbours house.....

Still really need access to the house, but I noticed today a can of Raid Fly And Wasp Killer 300Ml in the upstairs window, so I'm no certain, if he/she has been trying to kill the bees with this....I need to confirm....

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=255284088

I assume this is also deadly to honey bees, and I'm wondering if bees contaminated with this would contaminate my bait hives, currently in position......and or colonies in the area, if they start robbing.... (they are close by!).

I think I might be tempted to print out a notice, and stick on the house NO PEST SPRAY...so the owner can read it, before I get a chance to discuss with them....

What do others think ?

"My neighbour, came to me this morning at 11.00am, he's looking after a house in the village, and found a ladder up against the wall, and bees coming out of the wall...I don't think the bees put the ladder there I told him!

He had no idea, what the situation is, because the owner did not mention this....Owner asked him to look after house and dogs, on Tuesday, for this weekend, so he has not seen the neighbour...

I had a look, and difficult to tell, what is going on, definitely honey bees, black bees.

Not sure if they are emerging from the brick work, or going in....BUT there are a lot of bees in the house, inside the window, and on the window sill (inside), and also clumps hanging on the window...(inside) - more bees inside, than outside...

Could not get access to the house, so I left a bait hive, on top of a dustbin wheelie bin, they are not paying much attention, so I dropped some old comb, in my swarm box, and this evening, they appeared to be going in and out...(still bees inside the house!)"

Contains 1R-trans phenothrin 0.125% (0.125g/100g), prallethrin 0.10% (0.10g/100g).

Pyrethrin isomers?

Phenothrin is primarily used to kill fleas and ticks.[1] It is also used to kill head lice in humans, but studies conducted in Paris, France and the United Kingdom have shown widespread resistance to phenothrin.[1]

It is extremely toxic to bees. A U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) study found that 0.07 micrograms was enough to kill honey bees.[1] It is also extremely toxic to aquatic life with a study showing concentrations of 0.03 ppb killing mysid shrimp.[1] It has increased risk of liver cancer in rats and mice in long term exposure.[1] It is poisonous to cats and dogs, with seizures and deaths being reported due to poisoning.[1] Specific data on concentrations or exposure is lacking.

The EPA has not assessed its effect on cancer in humans. However, one study performed by the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine links sumithrin with breast cancer; the link made by sumithrin's effect on increasing the expression of a gene responsible for mammary tissue proliferation.[1]

AND I am worried about Aspertame contaminating my Tonic water!

Yeghes da

Last edited:
Contains 1R-trans phenothrin 0.125% (0.125g/100g), prallethrin 0.10% (0.10g/100g).

Pyrethrin isomers?

Phenothrin is primarily used to kill fleas and ticks.[1] It is also used to kill head lice in humans, but studies conducted in Paris, France and the United Kingdom have shown widespread resistance to phenothrin.[1]

It is extremely toxic to bees. A U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) study found that 0.07 micrograms was enough to kill honey bees.[1] It is also extremely toxic to aquatic life with a study showing concentrations of 0.03 ppb killing mysid shrimp.[1] It has increased risk of liver cancer in rats and mice in long term exposure.[1] It is poisonous to cats and dogs, with seizures and deaths being reported due to poisoning.[1] Specific data on concentrations or exposure is lacking.

The EPA has not assessed its effect on cancer in humans. However, one study performed by the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine links sumithrin with breast cancer; the link made by sumithrin's effect on increasing the expression of a gene responsible for mammary tissue proliferation.[1]

AND I am worried about Aspertame contaminating my Tonic water!

Yeghes da

I stick a sign up on the Window!

I don't know, if this has been used as an attempt to kill them, it's just odd, there is a can in the Window, in the upstairs bedroom!

I think there is a large nest behind a wooden oak beam in the property, and they have swarmed into the house, and outside....bees still seem to be coming out of the house....some finding their way into my bait hive...

Have you put a frying pan over the chimney?

Yeghes da

Not my house - no!

I just got my neighbour who is house sitting tell me on Sat, there is a ladder up against a wall, of the house I'm house-sitting...and there are honey bees...

I replied "well I don't think the bees put the ladder there!"

it's a shame, I wasn't called earlier, because there must be I would think, 4"-5" of dead bees inside on the window sill!

not sure, if this is heat or fly spy!

Latest posts

Back