AZ Hives in Beeshed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However... I do still have a bee shed, but I have changed the entrances to work with national hives.
How does the whole bee shed thing work? Is it literally just beehives inside a shed with tunnel entrances through the wall…how do you inspect?

How does the whole bee shed thing work? Is it literally just beehives inside a shed with tunnel entrances through the wall…how do you inspect?
Yes basically! Just inspect as normal. I have a window that has an opening, the rest have the blinds closed so they head to the light, or I can leave the door open, and they clear in minutes. I also have a light to help me see what I need to see.

I really want a bee shed up here on the hill my thoughts were to have a pull out floor on some sort of ratchet is there such a bee shed?
I was also wondering if your inspecting inside what happens to young bees if they end up on the floor ?

Yes basically! Just inspect as normal. I have a window that has an opening, the rest have the blinds closed so they head to the light, or I can leave the door open, and they clear in minutes. I also have a light to help me see what I need to see.
And what’s the main benefits? I’m guessing they might include;

Hide the bees from neighbours
Inspect in the rain
Keep the hives warmer in winter

I liked the pic of an alpine one I saw, a simple roofed open shed with a solid back and a space/walk way behind thehives. The beek able to inspect in all weathers and the front's of the hives given some protection by an over hanging front porch/roof .

And what’s the main benefits? I’m guessing they might include;

Hide the bees from neighbours
Inspect in the rain
Keep the hives warmer in winter
Yes those things, I tend not to inspect in the rain if possible even in the shed. For me it was a space thing initially. The shed was where I wanted to put the hives in the garden and wasn’t used for much so I started looking into keeping hives in sheds, which brought me to the AZ’s.

I really want a bee shed up here on the hill my thoughts were to have a pull out floor on some sort of ratchet is there such a bee shed?
I was also wondering if your inspecting inside what happens to young bees if they end up on the floor ?
May fly out after a few minutes and there are literally none after half an hour. If it’s v young bees you can simply put them at the entrance if you want, probably easier to spot them than if in the grass.

bees can fly within a day of emergence, and even though they may not fly much from the hive in the first few weeks they orientate to the hive as soon as they can fly - how else do you think they dump their guts in the mornings?

Latest posts

Back