settling tank

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 Nats and 1 tbh
Can anyone recommend a good make of stainless steel settling tank either 35 or 50 kg. would prefer a ss valve .

Thanks

No idea what you mean by this. Can you describe what you are looking for please?

PH

Last edited:
I use plastic container 60 litres. As honey it is 90 kg.
The sieve is inside the container and when I add extracted honey, meanwhile air foam and small pieces of combs rise to the surface. It works very well. Then I take clear honey from the bottom tap.

I have 50 kg stainless barrel too and I can use it at same way.

Bee Equipped perhaps? I'm not sure whether these have a SS gate, but I bought an extractor from them and I think their stainless steel products were all from San Natura. Price is a fraction that of Thorne's.

Giordan tanks (Italian) from Agrinova are good and at a very competitive price. They have plastic valves but offer chromed brass as well and stainless to order. Lyson (Polish) from Abelo also good and well-priced, plastic or stainless valves available.
Logar (Slovenia) are good too - they do an optional air-tight seal on lids of most of their tanks. That is an option worth having if you are going to store the honey in the tank, even for a few days because honey is hygroscopic. If you will be bottling it straight away then not necessary.
Why not go to the Beetradex on Sat. 4th March - there will be lots to choose from.
If you opt for a threaded stainless steel valve (rather than one which has been welded or soldered on) remember that stainless steel can stick fast to stainless steel so you will need to use PTFE tape on the threads. It will also reduce the risk of leaks.

Last edited:
I use plastic container 60 litres. As honey it is 90 kg.
The sieve is inside the container and when I add extracted honey, meanwhile air foam and small pieces of combs rise to the surface. It works very well. Then I take clear honey from the bottom tap.

Yes, that's almost what I do.
Spin, put through a double sieve into a bucket. Take the rubbish off the next day. Bottle as required.

As PH, depends. Some call them 'honey ripeners', some 'settling tank' some just plain storage vessel.

Usually only for temporary storage unless with a sealed lid and means to handle honey, should it crystallise!

One requirement might be to move it when full, so the spec between one that is that robust and one that would not easily support itself if lifted when part full, needs to be considered.

I have used a Lega, made in 18/10 stainless steel, for umpteen years. Suits me.

Is there a UK distributor for Logar Bee Bumble? The lid/handles/tap look good from their Slovenian website, but there are no prices I could see.

Is there a UK distributor for Logar Bee Bumble? The lid/handles/tap look good from their Slovenian website, but there are no prices I could see.

http://www.honey-extractors.co.uk/honey-tanks

They also sell honey storage tanks without the tap, but you will need a pump (if it is a big one) and a Dana Api Therma melter or other method to melt it after it has crystallized.

I like these ones for long term storage: http://www.honey-extractors.co.uk/stackable-storage-tank-25-kg-with-airtight-lid-stainless-steel
and would like one of these for short-term storage: http://www.honey-extractors.co.uk/honey-tank-100-kgairtight-lidstainless-steel-gate

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back