Ball valve for Abelo 50 litre Settling Tank

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have the above tank that is supplied with a metal gate valve controlling a 40mms outlet.
Abelo do sell a Bottling Valve and Ball Valve but they are not cheap.
I was wondering it there is anyone on the forum who has already converted this gate valve to a ball valve using readily obtained parts from engineering/plumbing suppliers.
I would be loathed to try and remove the whole outlet for fear of damaging the thread but the actual gate is easily removed.
A list of all the necessary foodsafe parts and suppliers would be most helpful.
I have attached a picture of the valve
Thank you in advance8203E613-9D49-47AE-BF83-7334E86E9B5D.jpeg

£195 for fitting plus an industry standard 1 1/2" valve valve. The valve on its own is only £25 so its about £170 for the fittings but if you made a simple clamp the host fitting and the flange are about £12 each. call it £50

Last edited:
I have the above tank that is supplied with a metal gate valve controlling a 40mms outlet.
Abelo do sell a Bottling Valve and Ball Valve but they are not cheap.
I was wondering it there is anyone on the forum who has already converted this gate valve to a ball valve using readily obtained parts from engineering/plumbing suppliers.
I would be loathed to try and remove the whole outlet for fear of damaging the thread but the actual gate is easily removed.
A list of all the necessary foodsafe parts and suppliers would be most helpful.
I have attached a picture of the valve
Thank you in advanceView attachment 35236
Not sure what your problem with using the gate valve is? Your info says you have 3 hives so I'm thinking there's little return on investment for alterations. The simplicity of the gate valve and ease of cleaning has a lot of advantage.

I find that with a full tank the honey rises up and over the gate valve no matter how much I open it. I have to empty honey into a jug then fill the jars otherwise I end up with drips everywhere. I only have a few hives so it is not worth the cost of a different valve. If anyone has a technique that may work, I'd be happy to hear it.

Sounds like you just need to tighten it a little

I find that with a full tank the honey rises up and over the gate valve no matter how much I open it. I have to empty honey into a jug then fill the jars otherwise I end up with drips everywhere. I only have a few hives so it is not worth the cost of a different valve. If anyone has a technique that may work, I'd be happy to hear it.
Keep the flap close to the face as you swing it to open. You could put a spring washer under the nut on the pivot end or a largish stainless "repair washer" on the clamping nut end. It would achieve the same effect as the plastic guide on the Thorne's deluxe gate valve. Honey Valve Plastic, 1.5" bore

Latest posts

Back