Set honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I extracted a couple of supers the other week and the honey set within 3 day to a milky white (photo below was taking in artificial light). At time of extraction there was a mixture of light and dark honey going into the extraction bucket. I read that honey sets when it has a higher ratio of glucose to fructose. Does this give an indication to type of plants the bees were foraging?

I also have about 5 litres left in the bucket which has set as I ran out of jars. I assume it would be ok to heat this up again to get into a liquid state that I can jar up?

20210726_233152_resized.jpg

I extracted a couple of supers the other week and the honey set within 3 day to a milky white (photo below was taking in artificial light). At time of extraction there was a mixture of light and dark honey going into the extraction bucket. I read that honey sets when it has a higher ratio of glucose to fructose. Does this give an indication to type of plants the bees were foraging?

I also have about 5 litres left in the bucket which has set as I ran out of jars. I assume it would be ok to heat this up again to get into a liquid state that I can jar up?

View attachment 27438
Yes ... what means do you have for warming the bucket up ... at a pinch a slow cooker with water in it will do it ... you don't want to heat it excessively - better a lower temperature over a period of time. You realise that it will set in the jars so you might want to consider turning it in to soft set honey -lots of threads on here how to do it.

My reading on this forum suggests yes….. I’m still hoping to get more honey Than I can jar one day😊
I had a look the other day and they have filled the empty supers I put back on so looking good for another few jars. Hopefully same for yourself (y)

Yes ... what means do you have for warming the bucket up ... at a pinch a slow cooker with water in it will do it ... you don't want to heat it excessively - better a lower temperature over a period of time. You realise that it will set in the jars so you might want to consider turning it in to soft set honey -lots of threads on here how to do it.
I have a large pot lying around somewhere that the bucket might fit into else I can scrape it into something smaller that will fit. I was thinking to leave it in the boot of car at the time but the heatwave seems like a distance memory now. I've since read that you shouldn't heat above 35C.

Will have a look at the soft set option, thanks.

I have a large pot lying around somewhere that the bucket might fit into else I can scrape it into something smaller that will fit. I was thinking to leave it in the boot of car at the time but the heatwave seems like a distance memory now. I've since read that you shouldn't heat above 35C.

Will have a look at the soft set option, thanks.
If you can surround it with hot water ... the water temperature outside the bucket can be higher than 35 degrees ... it will start to soften - you may need to renew the hot water a couple of times and as soon as the honey starts to loosen keep giving it a stir as it helps.

I often do a jug at a time to jar up from set buckets .. I have a cheap plastic jug from Asda that I sit in a pan of hot water ... leave it overnight and by morning it's runny.

Stack your jars on the grill fill to under the lid with water and heat at 40 for a few hours.
Will also take a 30lb bucket. I set buckets to 45 and stir a couple of times. Takes 24 hours max

When I read the blog about Honey setting and the suggestion you made with the Jam maker from Lidl. I thought it was a bit late to find one because the offer was a month ago. But Yesterday ! I bought one from Lidl and I got 20% off because the packing was damaged. Somebody must have retuned it. I checked everything is in it and it seemed untouched.
I feel very please with all your good ideas. This forum is a source of guidances and support I’m now free from the worries of Honey setting :). And the price was good too !
Thank you :giggle:

When I read the blog about Honey setting and the suggestion you made with the Jam maker from Lidl. I thought it was a bit late to find one because the offer was a month ago. But Yesterday ! I bought one from Lidl and I got 20% off because the packing was damaged. Somebody must have retuned it. I checked everything is in it and it seemed untouched.
I feel very please with all your good ideas. This forum is a source of guidances and support I’m now free from the worries of Honey setting :). And the price was good too !
Thank you :giggle:
Nice to hear a good shout for the forum. 😉

Latest posts

Back