Seriously thinking about beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisd1974

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Good evening to you beekeepers out there. As you can see from the title I am looking to get into beekeeping along with the many other hobbies that I have. Myself and my wife have an allotment which will alow bee hives, but I will be the first plot holder to have one. I am currently trying to research what type of hive I should get first but the sare so many with so many parts which I do not understand. I would like to have a hive which is a good size, dont want to get a small one then have to upgrade if you know what I mean. I have been intouch with our local bee keeping association and they are letting me attend their next meeting but just wanted to try and get the basics first from experienced people like yourselve so at least when i go to this meeting I know a small part of bee keeping.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks Chris

Pretty much all hives are modular, so you should never outgrow the equipment regardless of weather you choose National or Langstroth etc. On the whole sensible advice would be to take a good look at what your local bee keepers are using and buy that. Of course I ignored my own advice and got a poly Langstroth jumbo when everyone locally uses wooden National brood or brood and a half!

David

Put your name down for a beginners course with your local BKA, well recommended.
Is there a quiet corner, out of the way of other plot holders? Reason I ask is a friend of mine has a beekeeper next to his plot. The hives are against the fence (tall) but the bees are not the nicest and are becoming a nuisance (stinging a fair distance from the hives)
Most allotments have an area that is out-of-the-way and I think this would be a better site than close to others who will be tending their gardens most days. Of course, it depends on your bees but better to try and avoid an issue than deal with one later.

welcome crisd , try looking at a catalogue to see what they have there is so much choice. I USE WBC AND NATIONALS and I like them both for different reasons. glad you are joining local group, they will be of great help to you or confuse you totally, happy beekeeping

Welcome chrisd. If you put a barrier (6/8 foot high should do it) in front of the entrance to the hive the bees will go up and over and hopefully avoid your fellow allotment holders! The barrier should be about three feet in front of the entrance.

Hi Chris

I'm another absolute beginner and thoroughly enjoyed the beginners beekeeping course that my local soc offered last year. The practical sessions I missed but I'll be catching up soon.

It may be worthwhile giving yourself some time to learn, find the right hives and tools for you, getting to know your local beekeepers soc folk, taking their beginners course and finding an alternative hive site should you have any problems with the allotment or neighbours.

Lovely to see someone else so keen about Bees. :)

I'd recommend that you join your local association before putting any bees on the allotments, that way you'll have public liability insurance ( necessary evil these days)

on the 'what hive to get' question.

a few points,
1, most extractors take 'national' super frames.
2, a 'national' ain't usually big enough a brood box
3, 'commercial' brood bodies ( 16 x 10 frames) can be used with all other parts being of the 'national' size ( it's what I use)

have a read of 'Ted Hoopers, Guide to bees and honey' before you decide on which hive type to get ;)

If your wife is going to share in this new hobby, one very important matter is the weight that she (or even you) can comfortably lift. Being sited on an allotment may require carrying parts longish distances. It's also possible that your wife may take to it better than yourself.

BS National hives perhaps the best in this regards.

As suggested, you should do a course and then get what you want.

Even though this may mean waiting until next spring before actually getting bees you will be in a much better position to look after them. Being on an allotment, the last thing you need is to queer your pitch by annoying the other gardeners.

It is a great hobby so good luck.

welcome chris

where about in Merseyside are you, i am central liverpool give me a shout if you have any Q's

enjoy

Like yourself I'm a relative begginner in beekeeping and I'm very lucky by having a wonderfull and very successful keeper with 40 years under his belt as a best freind.

Bear in mind there are many other alternative hives, I now have a trio of home made copies of a Warre hive as my second hives with my main hives being Improved Nationals, and as many others have already mentioned these are only one of many industry standards and second hand parts are plentyfull and fairly easy to get if your quick because many people are snapping them up to replace their losses over the last two poorer years.

However I have recently made us three Warre improved hives now becomming more popular, like any other hive its just a box or a hotel for bees, but its how it and the hotel manager works and runs their hotel chain that counts.

I have a thread here showing how the Warre hive I made and looks once modernised, those who have been a keeper or enthusiast before will tell you the Warre needs far less food and winters very well due to its design and nature mimicing set up.

Equipment need not be expensive unless you get the bug and get the catologues with nice shiny pictures, but if your like me a tight Yorkshireman you can make most of your own stuff.

Look out for a book called The Peoples Hive or beekeeping for all its available on the internet, search for Warre.

Other smaller manageable hives are the old cottager types which can also provide a good and manageable home for bees.

If your ask 3 beekeepers the same question be prepared for three different answers, best way is to find a good local guy and get one to one tuition if you can.

I went along for the first time to a local club and was very dissapointed in what I saw, the teachers or runners in this case were letting raw beginners hold the frames wrong and grub and nectar were falling to ground and on a day far too cold to contemplate opening the hive anyway.

Your going to come up against many things to test you in your journey as well as bees.

Good luck and welcome.

Last edited:
The one bit of kit that every one forgets, re the carrying issue is the humble but vital wheelbarrow. ;)

PH

Hi Chris - welcome to the forum.

We were plunged into beekeeping all rather quickly when two swarms came into our garden within two weeks. Both are established, and doing rather well now, but the learning curve was immense.

For the first swarm we 'inherited' a national hive with regular size brood box, which has been fine. The second swarm was bigger, so knowing a bit more by this point, we opted for a 14x12 brood box, commonly called a brood and a half. We figured that there would be more room for the bees to establish and lay down stores for the winter, and less chance of swarming next year. That too is fine.

We were lucky enough to be pointed in the direction of a beginners course near Chester (we are in Northwich in mid cheshire) and to have had the support of quite a few local beekeepers. I can put you in touch if you are interested.

We've also gained a lot of info from the forum, and would recommend Practical Beekeeping by Clive de Bruyn. It's a bit more expensive than hooper, but I think is written in a more accessible style, and has plenty of illustrations, which I found useful. Between both you can't go wrong.

As I said, we're in northwich, so drop me a line if you'd like to chat, or to take a look at the set up that we have here.

Another welcome, Chris.

I seriously thought about beekeeping for about 8 years then when I took the plunge last year, regretted all the waiting.
There can be lots of things that get in the way but my advice is to try and think of a way round them unless they are unsurmountable. I notice someone mentioned a limit being what your wife might be able to lift. Well having the two of you is a great strength as you can have 2 people whenever you need them - halving the load. Or you can plan any heavy activity - I use plasticised outdoor fabric to line wheelbarrows etc or you might invest in a little garden truck. So I can get round heaviness but wanting an extra pair of hands and having no-one around - that is a big problem.
Tricia

Welcome to the forum, but I am one of the dissenters to a situation whereby an absolutely 'green' starter is installing bees in what is a basically a public place.

I did not put any bees in my garden for a couple of seasons, let alone in full view and close proximity of other plot holders. My bees, and possibly my skills, at that time likely would have caused problems. Well, the bees would have, for certain!

RAB

I am going to add my support here to the non public place line of thinking.

No disrespect but the potential damage an out of control colony can do has to be experienced to believe. Nothing for hundreds of yards can be called safe.

I personally would not keep bees on an allotment. I have had at least 3 swarms arrive in my garden from them what do have them on the local allotments.

Think carefully please.

PH

Well thanks very much guys and gals for all of the welcomed advice, it is greatly appreciated. One of the reasons for looking to site my hive on our allotment is that the council is trying to push holders to keep hives. I am aware that some people will frown about a hive and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am holding a plot meeting this coming weekend so will be asking the question then. In reply to beeboybee hope I got that right, I am based in Prescot so not a million miles away and it would be nice to take you up on your offer of coming to see your setup. I have been invited to a meeting held at Croxteth country park on Friday 15th which should be interesting. What I don't want to do is jump in with two left feet and get it wrong. Once again thank you to all the sound advice and also reservations. No doubt I will have more questions as I continue to research.

Thanks Chris

Welcome Chris to the most fascinating, frustrating, absorbing, scary and all round fab hobby I have every found. I'm an almost newbee and enjoying every minute of it. Enjoy

I have bees on allotment in Mossbank St Helens if you want to come and have a look. BKAs are Southport, Liverpool and Ormskirk & Croston. I think they all recommend National hives

Latest posts

Back