September swarming?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iainwilk01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Last weekend I started sorting the bees for winter. Put a super of stores under the brood box and treated with apiguard. Ever since the bees have looked rather confused and there are loads just milling around outside the hive, like hundreds, almost as if they want to swarm but the queen ain't coming!
What could cause this, the switching of the boxes or the apiguard?
Thanks

It means that I posted then thought better of it..... so as this forum does not let you delete a post I overwrote it.
Sorry for the confusion.
If you get email notifications you probably got the original....

Bees don't like Apiguard. That may be the reason.
It may be that the super under, being full of syrup is attracting other bees. Have you got your entrance reduced?

Could've just got it in one! Haven't reduced the entrance yet and it is next to a hive which doesn't have much stores. Could be little robbers! Cheers for that. I'll stick the reducer on smallest for now.
What's the thoughts on feeding whilst treating with Apiguard, any downside or go for it?

Could've just got it in one! Haven't reduced the entrance yet and it is next to a hive which doesn't have much stores. Could be little robbers! Cheers for that. I'll stick the reducer on smallest for now.
What's the thoughts on feeding whilst treating with Apiguard, any downside or go for it?

Do it..

I picked up a swarm last week. Been on a tree about 5 days, and produced a little comb in situ.
Cut down, all bees boxed and now have a laying queen showing a good pattern of eggs in a Nuc box. Covering 3+ frames.
Now just got to get through winter...

Robbing.. shake a little flour on circulating bees to see if the white ones return to another hive. DONT use icing sugar.

Looked through a few hives today in an out apiary and three have swarmed in the past week by they looks of things! Bloody weather.........

People feeding too much too soon as per BBKA instructions in mild weather keeps me on my toes.
Caught three swarms last October, the last on the 28th.

No swarm boxes out this year..

More likely to be absconding rather than swarming.

Latest posts

Back