Seperate new beekeepers forum section ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should new beekeepers have a seperate section to chat and support each other ?

• Yes It's a good idea

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • No. Things are fine as they are

Votes: 169 64.0%
  • Not Bothered.

Votes: 20 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an old hand I think it to be a good idea also!
Problem is the newbies ask the same questions and some of the older subscribers get quite shirty at times and must bruise the sensibilities of newbies who ask questions with out first searching out answers already given !
Now, as a newbie, often the lad/lass has no way of knowing where to look anyway . Therefore a dedicated section would solve the problem for both the exasperated oldie and the raw newbie , in as much as the newbie can ask away and the jaundiced oldie and steer away .
Problem solved ?

John Wilkinson

As a relative newbie - first year with my own hive but 2 1/2 years working around bees I think an FAQ culled from the common questions posted and answered over the last few months would be better than a dedicated forum.
People can then post -- have you read this thread......
I have a tendency to read more than I post so I always scan sub fora with new posts incase there's something that may prove to interesting or enlightening.
Of course condensing the answers into a FAQ that the experts (x=unknown quantity, spurt=drip under pressure) agrees on is going to be a war unto itself

The trouble with an FAQ or sticky to cover the most asked questions is a good idea but how often is it we all agree on the same answers.

A lot of the answers will differ depending on the location, hive types, rural - urban etc etc

victor meldrew,
John, read the heading at the top where it says: Should new beekeepers have a seperate section to chat and support each other ?

I don't personally think that would work.

Regards, RAB

Recently there has been a spate of down right rude through to snide comments aimed at other members for seemingly no other reason but to flame them or their beliefs. Healthy debate is one thing but flaming some one just to be rude is another.

If anyone feels exasperated surely the simple answer is don't bother to click the reply button.

As a new beekeeper, I have had brilliant advice and guidance from the more experienced members of this forum. If there was a section for new beeks, I would have been too unsure of myself to join in with those more experienced. It should be left as it is. I would never have learned so much in such a short space of time on a beginners forum.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

victor meldrew,
John, read the heading at the top where it says: Should new beekeepers have a seperate section to chat and support each other ?

I don't personally think that would work.

Regards, RAB
I see your point RAB.
I don't read it as being exclusive but rather as a haven for newbies who Should find 'Virtual Mentors' as it were ?
Anyone using the facility without being helpful ie. "here we go again ", "Read previous posts" "Get a Bee Book" should politely reminded that , this one section is designed as a place where all questions are to be answered with regard to the newness of the questioner and not designed as a stage for superior knowledge , ego trips and down right rudeness but rather to foster the newbie , encourage the newbie.
Not forgetting this is a place where newbies can discuss their failures and successes , where they can over enthuse !! sympathise with each other without attracting posts containing the rolling eyes icon!
Kaz , your number of posts lass, suggests that temerity isn't in your vocabulary :D
Newbies seeing the way you've grabbed the hobby with both hands, asked questions, replied with" thank you" and questioned the answers (just to be sure)make you an ideal candidate to make full use of such facility if it comes about .

John Wilkinson

By requesting a seperate section for new beeks suggests to me that some people are uncomfortable posting on the main forum.
Could it be that new beeks feel intimidated by some of the replies they recieve? (sarcasm/putdowns)
Surely the forum is for all! and as said in previous posts, experienced beeks do not have to reply if they dont want too, but if they do, some could be a little more polite! (as they expect us to be!)

Kaz , your number of posts lass, suggests that temerity isn't in your vocabulary :D

John Wilkinson

Temerity, Hmmm where's that dictionary when you need it! :biggrinjester:

By requesting a seperate section for new beeks suggests to me that some people are uncomfortable posting on the main forum.
Could it be that new beeks feel intimidated by some of the replies they recieve? (sarcasm/putdowns)
Surely the forum is for all! and as said in previous posts, experienced beeks do not have to reply if they dont want too, but if they do, some could be a little more polite! (as they expect us to be!)

Temerity, Hmmm where's that dictionary when you need it! :biggrinjester:
Try timidity which is what I thought I had written (Damn these American spell checkers)

John Wilkinson

I don't read it as being exclusive

I do, John. That is precisely how it is written. Not even ambiguous, as far as I can see.

Regards, RAB

I don't feel strongly either way about having a separate section for beginners. Reading all this though made me think.....What about this idea of offering virtual mentoring?? I know it is nowhere near as good as having hands on support, but it might be helpful to follow just one person's advice.

Saying that, I think some of the most useful learning for me comes from the threads where there is differing advice. Working out the reasons why experienced beeks are giving different advice means you understand better your choices.

One thing, of many, I have learned from here is that you have to make your own choice depending on your own situation. This forum is a mine of often conflicting advice but it has saved me from making the most stupid mistakes on more than one occasion. There is no RIGHT way but there are lots of WRONG ones :confused:
I have voted for the status quo........(small case:biggrinjester:)

As a new beekeeper, I have had brilliant advice and guidance from the more experienced members of this forum. If there was a section for new beeks, I would have been too unsure of myself to join in with those more experienced. It should be left as it is. I would never have learned so much in such a short space of time on a beginners forum.

I think kazmcc sums it up pretty well. I hope it's not too frustrating for the experienced beeks, but mixing with the big boys is what helps us newbees develop. And where there are harsh words, they are quite often differences of opinion between the seniors- now that is informative, and really brings home how much it is both a science and an art.

Polyanwood,

Working out the reasons why experienced beeks are giving different advice means you understand better your choices.

Couldn't agree more. Very few beginners think about their actions, they just do it. Very few weigh up the options in a logical, methodical way, so no wonder the wrong choices are seemingly often made.

Most scenarios are slightly different, at the very least. Working with the wrong information, or without all the information is always likely to result in a divulgence of opinion.

Regards, RAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back