Seperate new beekeepers forum section ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should new beekeepers have a seperate section to chat and support each other ?

• Yes It's a good idea

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • No. Things are fine as they are

Votes: 169 64.0%
  • Not Bothered.

Votes: 20 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a few issues here.

I often suggest (I hope politely) reading a bee book often in circumstances where it is blatantly obvious the poster has bees and not a damn clue about them) I see that hint/prod as safety advice.

FAQ? There IS one or ain't you noticed? However the search function does (Admin please note) seem to miss fire far more often than it should.

I do worry when someone arrives on here (again my book suggestion) and they can't possibly begin to understand their bees as they don't have any understanding at all of the castes and their developments.

There are indeed many right ways, and far far more wrong ways, and if I can assist but one person to steer a better course then my RSI is worth while. Otherwise what is the point?

Flaming? I have never seen such on here. For flames try some American political sites. ;)

We were all newbies once. I do try to remember it. Honestly I do.

PH

I have read through the whole forum. A recurring issue seems to be that some experienced beeks can be a little off-hand at times. They should look to themselves and remember we all have to start sometime.
'It is a bad day when you do not go to bed having learned something new!!!!'
When would a new beek become an experienced beek. 1yr 10yrs 20yrs?? I think we all keep learning.
We have to be a little careful of discrimination, positive discrimination in favour of the 'new beeks' and discrimination against the 'old beeks'.
The rude and 'eye rolling' replies are often put down by more kindly and sensible souls. I think maybe we should all share out experiences and triumphs and disasters. We need to be able to laugh at ourselves and remember the pains of our first mistakes.
'it is a wise man who learns from his own mistakes!
It is an even wiser man who learns from other peoples!'
I am ambivalent about this suggestion, but create a new sub forum if the new beeks want it. Just a thought, How are you going to keep the old b*****s out?

I think some of the most useful learning for me comes from the threads where there is differing advice. Working out the reasons why experienced beeks are giving different advice means you understand better your choices.

:iagree:Absolutely. It's important to understand why you do things, not just follow blindly. There's often a great divergance of opinion here, and the (normally) well reasoned arguments help us new beeks make up our own minds, for better or worse.

Well hello to Arthur Askey :sifone::sifone::sifone:

John Wilkinson

I like the forum as it is - where everyone can contribute and ask questions regardless of experience. As a newbie I want advice from the experienced but I also want to see read others experiences and questions from other beginners. It could be me next time.

There are also bits of the forum which seem to be written in a foreign language and I live in hope of one day being experienced enough to start to understand it.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to the forum - I have learnt far more than from all the books I've read (PH!)

Ah but with the back ground of reading the forum makes much more sense as will the colony? Yes?

Let me put it this way. When I took evening classes it was very obvious who had at least read a book, than those who were purely relying on my lectures.

PH

I agree but my husband keeps asking how many bee books do you need?

I can't resist them!

I am not admitting to my library... but I need a good place to donate it to when I check out for the last time......:) Probably the Moir Library which is the library of the SBA and quite wonderful it is too as they let you borrow a box of books at a time.

A resource that other associations marvel at.

PH

Books

I agree but my husband keeps asking how many bee books do you need?

I can't resist them!

SWMBO keeps asking the same question. I have found that generally they say similar things in a different way. I can't resist them. A new one every couple of weeks.
The bees can't or don't read! Sometimes they just do not understand what I am trying to do.
Now that SWMBO has retired from teaching I am encouraging her to sit amongst the hives each afternoon and read a chapter or two to the working girls.
I don't think a book is the correct shape to place it where SWMBO suggets!!bee-smillie

I am a newbeek who has, on occasion, suffered the wrath of some of the more experienced. In my opinion it was well worth it to get their advice at the same time.

Even I, though, am beginning to see that some subjects come round and round again and again. That doesn't bother me too much, because I have plenty of scope to learn more about everything. But I can see why it would be frustrating to some.

An alternative - though I do not have any idea how much flexibility there is in the technical side of this forum, still less whether Admin has anything else at all to do to pass his time. But would it be possible to have an index of the more frequently asked, routine questions? Those of us still learning could then refer to this in the first instance, and only come to sit at the feet of the masters if that did not produce enough information?

The bottom line issue is that the FAQ exists, the search function exists and so does Google and it's side kicks. AKA as search engines though no surprise here no one bothers to use anything bar Google... Which is a massive shame.

The issue here is human behaviour or if you want it spelt out is sheer bloody laziness.

We see it in our business all the time. "How do I get from you to there?" And this is an on line query......... like mapquest does not exist?

People are bone idle. Sorry if you are the exception but in general this is the rule and so on here it is so easy to rattle the keys to ask, rather than search.

Ooops is this a Rant.... ?

PH

Ooops is this a Rant.... ?

No it's not......it's just the honest truth.

Starting to sound like that TV program Grumpy Old Men

Sorry fellers but it just sounds like it

The whole idea of a forum is for.....err......people to ask questions. If they just use the excellent search facility then they may as well just buy a....errr.....book!

Everyone's question is slightly different.... and different circumstances make the problem....errr....slightly different.

I used the search facility before I aksed the question about the price of cut comb. It brought up every thread with the words 'cut' 'comb' and 'price' in it, none of them answered my question. Perhaps I should have then Goggled it?

Anyone who thinks a question is too banal or has replied to the same question a hundred times before is at liberty to not answer.

Frisbee

This is correct frisbee also we have to take into account that people want to be part of the community and enjoy the thrill of asking the question and the exchanges that then takes place and how many times do we see one simple question expand into other topics that are a great help to I like to think to all on the forum.

This is correct frisbee also we have to take into account that people want to be part of the community and enjoy the thrill of asking the question and the exchanges that then takes place and how many times do we see one simple question expand into other topics that are a great help to I like to think to all on the forum.

Well said! :iagree:
Its also good for this years learners to be able to answer simple questions asked by next year learners.

Perhaps we are approaching this from the wrong direction...

Ought there to be a separate 'grown up' forum section for those who find newbeeks' questions irritating, and who would prefer not to be bothered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back