Selling honey at the gate: is weight info on the label mandatory?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I no longer sell honey to commercial outlets, only from my sales box outside the gate. I'm changing from 1 lb to 12 oz jars but still have hundreds of labels marked 454g/1 lb! Can I just delete those weights or must I put a correction-sticker on the label or on the back of the jar?

Apols for this lazy enquiry - I realise there are statutory regs somewhere that I could look up but I'm hoping a kind forumite will advise with less hassle.

Sorry Giles,
But if you want to comply, you must have the weight ( in metric) ( can follow up with imperial). The size of the font is specified also, think it varies with the weight.
A lot of my regulars, who have to knock at my door to purchase ( no gazunder) are happy to have jars unlabelled. I would just cross it out and amend.

Sorry Giles,
But if you want to comply, you must have the weight ( in metric) ( can follow up with imperial). The size of the font is specified also, think it varies with the weight.
A lot of my regulars, who have to knock at my door to purchase ( no gazunder) are happy to have jars unlabelled. I would just cross it out and amend.
My regulars get unlabelled tubs. I’m sure you can simply alter the weight

Thanks both.
We're on a through-route so many sales are probably to commuters rather than regulars. As the village name is incorporated into the label title many folk buy jars for presents so like a label.
Not 'simple' to alter the weight neatly!

Thanks both.
We're on a through-route so many sales are probably to commuters rather than regulars. As the village name is incorporated into the label title many folk buy jars for presents so like a label.
Not 'simple' to alter the weight neatly!
Then get some cheap return address labels. Vista print will do them any colour and you can get all the legal info on them.

Can you cut the weight bit off the label neatly then use a second sticker like an old style price sticker on the base with lot number and put weight on that?

I’ve had to alter the BBE on my labels, and it rubs off easily. A bit of faff to do, but it means I can easily write on the new BBE.

If you are selling it to the public you must comply with the regulations. These are pretty clear and require that honey must be labelled with its name, the name and address of the producer, a best-before date, lot mark, and weight marking. The weight must be in metric (lbs and oz can be included but not replace or be more prominent than metric). It is my understanding that this covers all honey regardless of the quantities or if you are selling from door/gate. With regards to the OP I would say you must put a sticker on covering the old weight and it must be viable when looking at the front of the jar (so not underneath)

it must be viable when looking at the front of the jar (so not underneath)
What the regulations actually say is that all the statutory information must be visible in the one field so it can be on the front, side, back, top, or even (technically) on the bottom

Once again. The rules are pretty relaxed selling from home rather than to retail outlets.
Just don’t put RAW in the description 😂😂
]

No ... put Raw in your description .,.. just don't tell anyone on here because bee-war 3 will break out with those who don't ... and yes, I do :devilish:

What the regulations actually say is that all the statutory information must be visible in the one field so it can be on the front, side, back, top, or even (technically) on the bottom
True, I stand corrected, be pretty unusual way or labelling your product though!

I thought the rules were the same regardless of if your selling from home or via a retail outlet, that any honey offered for sale to the public must be labelled in accordance with the regs

I no longer sell honey to commercial outlets, only from my sales box outside the gate. I'm changing from 1 lb to 12 oz jars but still have hundreds of labels marked 454g/1 lb! Can I just delete those weights or must I put a correction-sticker on the label or on the back of the jar?

Apols for this lazy enquiry - I realise there are statutory regs somewhere that I could look up but I'm hoping a kind forumite will advise with less hassle.

The density of honey is 42.37g per fluid ounce. Assuming your jars are 12 fluid ounce jars then you don't have a problem because 12 fluid ounces should hold 508g of honey, i.e more than 1lb in weight. Just check your jars will hold 1lb of honey to confirm and if so no need to change your labels.

]

No ... put Raw in your description .,.. just don't tell anyone on here because bee-war 3 will break out with those who don't ... and yes, I do :devilish:
But if you've melted it.......😁😁😁

My hives are in the back garden it’s all organic can I put raw organic garden honey🎣

Latest posts

Back