Selling honey at the gate: is weight info on the label mandatory?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Grams are sufficient
more than that - grams are mandatory and pounds and ounces not required at all, and if included in the labelling must not be in a larger font than the metric..
The mandatory packaging of goods in jars in multiples or fractions of a pound went out with the farthing I think.

Not any more - and hasn't been for years
Thornes labels are thus and jars are also like wise .
even in deepest Welsh Wales .C Wyne Jones in Ruthin sells imperial jars .
old habits die hard .
we have left the eu. so why I wonder are metric sizes now legal ?🤔

Register your food business with your local council they are only there to help you. I had to send my label via email to be approved because of covid restrictions. The lady told me I didn’t need a batch number if I put the date it was processed

Register your food business with your local council they are only there to help you. I had to send my label via email to be approved because of covid restrictions. The lady told me I didn’t need a batch number if I put the date it was processed

Processed? In the bees' stomachs? When extracted? When put into buckets? When jarred?.......

Processed? In the bees' stomachs? When extracted? When put into buckets? When jarred?.......
Jarred. Though it not crucial as long as it refers to a"batch" The batch number or date is important for traceability as it allows a batch to be identified if a problem was identified after it has been sold to a consumer.

more than that - grams are mandatory and pounds and ounces not required at all, and if included in the labelling must not be in a larger font than the metric..
The mandatory packaging of goods in jars in multiples or fractions of a pound went out with the farthing I think.
Now who’s being silly ?

Not any more - and hasn't been for years

Interesting. Studying for BBKA Module 1 led me to conclude otherwise - so much so that I have changed back to 227g labels/jar filling from 250g (same price, so more profit for me 😉)....

I am probably wrong, and I am professing no expertise here, but the The Weights and Measures Act 1963 (Honey) Order 1977 which mandates this is still on the statute books, I think.

Would be interested to stand corrected.

Interesting. Studying for BBKA Module 1 led me to conclude otherwise - so much so that I have changed back to 227g labels/jar filling from 250g (same price, so more profit for me 😉)....

I am probably wrong, and I am professing no expertise here, but the The Weights and Measures Act 1963 (Honey) Order 1977 which mandates this is still on the statute books, I think.

As far as I can glean . The honey labelling regulations are still pre Brexit until uk regulations have been completed!

As far as I can glean . The honey labelling regulations are still pre Brexit until uk regulations have been completed!
No food legislation has been changed post Brexit that I am aware of. The relevant legislation is
2015 Honey Regulations.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/food-standards-labelling-durability-and-composition#honeyAnd
Regulation 1169/2011 Food information to consumers
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eur/2011/1169/contents
If you want to get a better understanding of the regs and legislation (than the BBKA mod 1 provides by the sound of it) then the Food Standards Agency has an online training package at
https://labellingtraining.food.gov.uk/You can see on them that the Net weight must be expressed in grams as well as what the other mandatory information that must be display if you are selling food to consumers.

The 1977 statutory instrument is still listed on statute, presumably as other provisions still apply (such as rules for using net weight, for example) but the actual measure changed at least once after that, up to Miscellaneous Foods Order 1988, from which all of the “specified weights” requirements for honey were removed by The Weights and Measures (Specified Quantities) (Pre-packed Products) Regulations 2009.

Back to the beginning.... I was advised that it's not legal to simply amend a weight on a label.... Best thing is get in touch with your Trading Standards officers in the Council. They deal with "weights and measures" and are likely to be only too happy to advise.

The 1977 statutory instrument is still listed on statute
It's listed on the Legislation site, but not as an active document, just a PDF for reference purposes, non of the amendments are now listed.
The statutory instrument is marked as revoked in its entirety

Back to the beginning.... I was advised that it's not legal to simply amend a weight on a label.... Best thing is get in touch with your Trading Standards officers in the Council. They deal with "weights and measures" and are likely to be only too happy to advise.

Thanks but no thanks. I'm happy to follow the spirit of the law and sell an honest product at an honest price at my gate, but this falls short of involving jobsworths whose sole role is to insist on minutiae, doubtless with penalties for non-compliance.

That is fine - as long as there is an indication on the label as to where the BBE date is, all my labels state 'for best before, see base' then I stick a separate label on the base with BBE date and lot Number however a lot number number is not mandatory as long as the BBE date is in the DD:MM:YY format
Ditto.
Do you give your jars a 12 month BBE.
I've always done that, but isn't the date allowed to 3 or more years?

Ditto.
Do you give your jars a 12 month BBE.
I've always done that, but isn't the date allowed to 3 or more years?
The BBE date can be anything you want it to be, all the regulations say is that you must have a BBE displayed - there is no stipulation as to how long it has to be. I think there was a recommendation somewhere that is should be three years, but that was more to cover you for things like the lid rusting (which happens frequently with 1lb 'Ministry' jars) rather than the honey going off.

The BBE date can be anything you want it to be, all the regulations say is that you must have a BBE displayed - there is no stipulation as to how long it has to be. I think there was a recommendation somewhere that is should be three years, but that was more to cover you for things like the lid rusting (which happens frequently with 1lb 'Ministry' jars) rather than the honey going off.
Thanks jbm, I was jarring last night and I don't have BB on my labels only info to say ' see bottom of jar' and I use these16293606557771578540012455462234.jpg
I do need a label gun but don't mind writing them out.
When at work yesterday I was looking at there labels and they have put a date of 3 years, boss man was saying that they had looked and 3-5 years was expected.

Latest posts

Back