seed packet shuffling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I stood in my greenhouse for 10 mins yesterday the missus told me to come back in lol.

emptied two large compost bins onto the allotment today....looked well rotted.

have now got a list of things to keep me busy

build a wood lean-to green house extension on the side of our greenhouse for extra tomatoes .....mmmmmm tasty.

new fruit cage area bit of a rescue job as all wooden fence post have rotted and collapsed in snow.

new roofing felt and paint shed before it rots away.

new boards round allotment paths. need some cheep or free scaffolding boards
:seeya:

Me too - have I got enough pots this year, how is the allotment...are these seeds too old? Spring must be on the way!

Yep.
Spread compost on raspberry cane rows.
Tidied greenhouse. Weeded bits of garden.
Swept up leaves.

Looked at seeds...

Me too, went digging jeruselems tonight on the way home by torch light!

Have been shuffling for the last few weeks tbh. tempted to put some broad beans in as well.

well i was at the allotment today feeling low as its so cold to plant any thing.
so i went through the seed packets today to make me feel better.

is any one else getting the urge to shuffle seed packets as well.

Planted garlic yesterday, HP, as my order from T&M was delayed by nearly a fortnight so I couldn't get them in before the ground froze before Christmas.

Have also been through our seeds last week and managed to spend about £100 on things we want and need, including all our seed potatoes and onion sets.

Will be getting some more broad beans in this week to replace a few that may not come back after the frosty nipped the tops out and will be dpoing some planting in the conservatory in the next week or so.

the only job i am looking at doing between now and february is painting the sheds and the fences as reckon its going to be to cold or snowy for much else. rustling seed packets is about as good as its going to get for me, she who must be obayed was not happy last year with the amount of seed trays and pots which appeared around the inside of the house in the winter time,
so this year its green house only for me

Thinking of planting somthing for the bees. How about a couple of kg. of oilseed rape seeds scattered about the fields.

it does not have to be osr. although its the best choice you can throw any of the brassicas down as they all we run to seed.

i brought some meadow mix last year to try in an area the only bees on it were bumble bees as none of the flowers were right for honey bees, what a rip off that was.

Hi Pete, I buy my garlic from a farm on the Isle of Wight, you may have heard of Wight Garlic, but they sell quite a number of varieties. I have been planting bare root fruit bushes, gooseberry, raspberry and white-currant, already have some black-currant.

Next seed to buy is a few Kg of white clover and spread over a wild flower area that I have.

does anyone here uise propperly grown and brought garlic or does everyone like me buy it from asda and just sows it

I have bought it as I have read that just sowing shop bought stuff can a) introduce disease and b) isn't necessarily good for propagation.

However, the outlaws have had some success from buying ordinary garlic, though the cloves are often rather small and sometimes tasteless.

I have gone for a mixture of seven different types as I am only into my third season on the allotment and am still trying to determine which plants I like my (often very claggy clay) soil.

I grew some garlic about 25 years ago. As we do not get long hot summers, not a great success.. from an edible point of view.

But it is persistent and still survives like a weed so very easy to grow... badly.

was in Wilkos the other day and they allready had their seed packets out on 3 for 2, but I resisted.

Had a good crop of garlic last year, from both propper seed bulbs and tescos eating bulbs.

Hi Pete
I have tried both supermarket and nursery bought. The nursery bought is bred for this climate and grows better. ( My soil is light and sandy.)
Cazza

Our soil on last years allotment was clay and shop bought (Sainsbury) garlic disappeared (as did onion sets) while nursery bought thrived. Moved to a new allotment mid summer and am looking forward to seeing what goes this year as the soil is sooo different e.g BETTER!

Latest posts

Back