Second hive to attract a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieDug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 colonies
I have two nationals and only one colony which I have only had for a month, as this is my first season. Bees very active bringing in pollen ect.

If I place a second hive with new wax and lemon grass oil to attract a swarm will this have any undesirable affects on my existing colony? the hives are in my garden an about 4 feet apart, entrances facing slightly different angles. I have no other options to position either hive

Any advice apprreciated

Richard

Richard,

you MUST buy or borrow a book, I'd suggest " A guide to Bees and Honey" by Ted Hooper, and learn what's going on in your colony of bees ....we beekeepers have moved on from the olden days of blowing whistles and whittling skeps.

richard

Richie,
In my experience having a bait hive near another hive should not have any negative effects, but I think it would be quite unlikely that you would catch a swarm from your other hive in it - you might catch a swarm from someone else's hive though:)

Was the colony a full one when you got it, and do you know anything about the Q, like how old? A bait hive won't cause the existing colony any problems, but if it's mature then you may get swarming later and bait hive may help attract the swarm. But you'd be better off waiting for the signs that swarming has been triggered and then using your spare hive for an articificial swarm process. Meanwhile, you just might attract someon else's!

My queen is not yet a year old and there is plenty of room, the intention was catch a swarm from someone else's hive . I will give it a try.
Thanks for the encougaging advice

Richard

Richard

Do you know that you'll be able to create an 'artificial swarm' from your existing colony in a few months time?

richard

Nothing wrong with leaving your spare hive as a bait hive though until its needed for AS purposes. You'll end up getting a swarm and then finding your main hive wants to swarm though sods law!

It does happen, but not exactly the best location for a bait hive, just a metre, or so, from another colony.

RAB

Latest posts

Back