'seams' for oxalic acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a newbie is it common practice to use oxalic acid? Already used Apiguard going into Autumn. I have 5 hives. 2 of them langstroth Polys and the other three wooden Langstroths (2 homemade).

It is common, but not universal. Many believe its an essential part of varroa management, and others believe it is unnecessarily invasive. Fact you have already used Apiguard is good, as it may allow you some choice if you have a very low mite drop.

I still have brood and as I undertsand it you shouldn't use Oxalic acid until broodless. When is the best time to treat bearing in mind I live in south Hampshire?

Correct, shouldnt be used until broodless, or near as damnit. The best time for this is mid winter, many do it around Christmas/New Year. Dry cold days are best - dry for obvious reasons, and cold (within reason, seem to remember someone quoting around freezing as being a good temperature) because they are more likely to be in a tight ball. If applied quickly it should not upset them temperature wise.

Do you only treat if varroa levels increase and at what level?
How long is a piece off string. You should probably form your opinion now while they are still flying as to how much of an infestation you have and act accordingly in six weeks or so - if they are still dropping a lot then I would certainly treat. If none/very few then its more down to personal preference. Be aware though that by not treating you are running more of a risk of a large infestation come the spring.

"When is the best time to treat"

best time is the festive period. great excuse to leave rest of family to deal with aged relatives or in-laws whilst you slink off to the apiary.

Latest posts

Back