save our barn owls

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Not sure whether this should be posted here, health &pesticides section or the great outdoors smallholding section. Please sign up anyway and add your name to the petition.

http://www.avaaz.org/save_britains_barn_owls

First they remove it's habitat and when the rats get out of hand, they are poisoning the very bird which preys on these things! Good ennit!

Probably down to dimwit paterson again, so need all the support they can get.

RAB

have signed it, but I think its down to the people who put this rubbish down to lead by example in the farming community after all they are the Stewarts of the country side

Would help if rodenticide wasn't sold to the unqualified public, as a pro pest controller I see all manner of dangerous usage.

Not sure whether this should be posted here, health &pesticides section or the great outdoors smallholding section. Please sign up anyway and add your name to the petition.

http://www.avaaz.org/save_britains_barn_owls

First they remove it's habitat and when the rats get out of hand, they are poisoning the very bird which preys on these things! Good ennit!

Probably down to dimwit paterson again, so need all the support they can get.

RAB

As a licensed barn owl ringer and recorder, I get very dismayed with the cavalier attitude wildlife is being treated in this country. It used to be said with a degree of admiration that the English were a nation of animal lovers. , This is largely no longer true, wildlife is being totally disregarded in favour of pushing through planning applications, the latest and probably worst todate has been the the silly train fiasco HS2.
BTW, I signed Davids Ramsden's (Barn Owl Trust) petition shortly after he advised me it was going out.
Sorry for the rant but I find this very worrying
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Would help if rodenticide wasn't sold to the unqualified public, as a pro pest controller I see all manner of dangerous usage.

THIS IS SO TRUE/ SEEMS NOW EVERY COUNTRY STORE SELLS IT.. AND ALSO SELL THE STRONGER BROFIDACOUM TO THE PUBLIC.. THIS IS SOME OF THE PROBLEM. I WENT TO A HOUSE THE OTHER DAY AND THE HOUSEHOLDER HAD PLACED BAIT DOWN A WALL SIDE... JUST CHUCKED IT DOWN LIKE HE WAS FEEDING BIRDS WITH IT

Signed, quite shocking to hear about the random use of chemicals, we have rat traps placed by the council pest control officers at work because we are along the river bank and only rarely will you see a rat, the odd fox and feral cat are regular visitors although becoming less frequent lately due to the river Tawe development scheme (development for who, not the wildlife)

Amateurs can buy professional use rodenticide, but its against the law for them to use it
.....get your heads round that!
They do use it, and incorrectly too. Modern rodenticides bio accumulate.
The problem is made worse in areas where genetic resistance occurs - you end up with highly toxic rats who wander about and get predated by owls and hawks.

They glow in the dark....

You cannot, but if they have had regular feeds of poison that they are immune to, they will be poisonous...and of course, that persistent toxin then accumulates in the predators

Think there needs to an Avaaz petition to ban cars as well..........

It is estimated that, in a typical year, Britains' 4,000 pairs of Barn Owls produce roughly 12,000 young and a staggering 3,000 of these are killed on roads. In spite of the fact that over 98% of roads are minor roads, over 90% of all Barn Owl road casualties are found dead on major roads (such as motorways and dual carriageways)

http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/infopage.html?Id=180

That's a lot
...oddly I didn't know we had them round here until I saw one dead on the main road

Why don't we get to the root of the problem - which obviously is the rat. Why don't those nobwits in avaaz start a petition to ban rats (probably the only petition the beggars haven't started as yet.)

Just getting fed up of petitions for the least thing nowadays. Bit of a draught in here - let's raise a petition to make someone close the damn door!!! It's a joke

:iagree: every few minutes and there goes another one - petitions everywhere

I have some sympathy with what is happening to the barn owls and I've signed the petition ... the issue I have is that, once you've signed one of their petitions, you are bombarded with requests to sign other petitions .. regardless of whether they have any relevance or not.

I signed one a couple of years ago and i get requests every other week ..

Latest posts

Back