save our barn owls

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even hunting rabbits is subject to having to have a gun.

but I dont keep dogs or ferrets

Sorry Derek, thought it was a general statement, not just about yourself, perhaps get yourself a couple of ferrets then, cheaper than a gun and very amusing little critters....or move to USA and be a Robin Hood with your bow.

Some good bow hunting here.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOcPI1IFbTI"]Cam and Big Bulls in Colorado 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

And some long range target with the Spyder turbo..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld0kOyzu2PQ"]Cam's Spyder Turbo 160 Yard 5-shot group - YouTube[/ame]

Yes it's out of date..

Look at our biggest food sector : beef and dairy.. Do you know they still keep cows in fields rather than feed them in big barns ?

How inefficient. Someone wanted to invest £millions to bring the technology to the UK: guess what? The peasants revolted...
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/factoryfarm#petition

I have never said that there is not a lot of education to be done and this highlights one of them.Just ask my chickens if they would rather be sheltering under the Coop in the peeing down rain at present or be tucked up nice and warm in a large barn but they still enjoy sunning themselves when and if the sun will shone again.
The issues surrounding factory farming stem from the past when some atrocious methods were used which I don't think anyone would condone now. The problem is people have looked at how things were done in the past and lost trust and need convincing, not insults.
S

The problem is people have looked at how things were done in the past and lost trust and need convincing, not insults.
S

I insult whom I like .:)

I am NOT trying to convince anyone of the rights or wrongs of factory farming. Just commenting that Rent a Mob managed to stop some factory farming of cows.

I insult whom I like .:)

I am NOT trying to convince anyone of the rights or wrongs of factory farming. Just commenting that Rent a Mob managed to stop some factory farming of cows.

I never intended that you would convince anyone. Like or not 'rent a mob' as you call them are the majority and in a democracy have as much right to say what happens as the next person. Unless people start to realise this the arguments will be lost.
S

I never intended that you would convince anyone. Like or not 'rent a mob' as you call them are the majority and in a democracy have as much right to say what happens as the next person. Unless people start to realise this the arguments will be lost.
S

No. Price wins the argument and most of our food is imported, and we collectively turn a blind eye (or two) on how this food is raised while restricting our homegrown food producers with punitive regulations.
Grow your own or sauce locally is the only way to have any confidence in knowing how your food is produced.

No. Price wins the argument and most of our food is imported, and we collectively turn a blind eye (or two) on how this food is raised while restricting our homegrown food producers with punitive regulations.
Grow your own or sauce locally is the only way to have any confidence in knowing how your food is produced.

Spot on.

more likely released by the stupid mxrxns who wish to chase them on horseback.

I'm sorry but your prejudice has blinded you there - We have more than enough foxes in our area to chase with whatever vehicle we like - the fact is we are trying to reduce the population not increase the damn thing. Daily mail reasoning I'm afraid.
Dumped foxes won't be chased - they just sit there until a hound comes up and breaks its neck.
Our terrain isn't suitable for hunting on horseback most of us do it on foot and with guns. Even the horseback mob just use their mounts for a better view of what's going on rather than a chase

I'm sorry but your prejudice has blinded you there - We have more than enough foxes in our area to chase with whatever vehicle we like - the fact is we are trying to reduce the population not increase the damn thing. Daily mail reasoning I'm afraid.
Dumped foxes won't be chased - they just sit there until a hound comes up and breaks its neck.
Our terrain isn't suitable for hunting on horseback most of us do it on foot and with guns. Even the horseback mob just use their mounts for a better view of what's going on rather than a chase

Not predudice, just trying to counter unsubstansiated accusations against the RSPCA. I try to deal in facts not the garbage spewing out of trashey papers.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't read any papers but i do know my facts. Such as the hundreds of thousands of pounds of donors money the RSPCA has wasted on abandoned prosecutions (they weren't even allowed to progress to a verdict) thus far. Plus the hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money that has gone to pay for these cases. Like the latest down your neck of the woods somewhere where both the RSPCA 'official' and the policeman involved were censured by the judge for their over zealous and bordering on illegal actions in persecuting one person.

I try to deal in facts not the garbage spewing out of trashey papers.

:sorry:

Twice I've deleted a reply to this post, not wishing to start a forum war, but scanning back over some of your input into this thread the above sentence is blatant nonsense IMO, and needs someone to point it out as such.

:sorry:

Twice I've deleted a reply to this post, not wishing to start a forum war, but scanning back over some of your input into this thread the above sentence is blatant nonsense IMO, and needs someone to point it out as such.
Your entitled to your opinion and if you think it nonsense then fine with with me, just keep in living in your little bubble and don't look around you. BTW the fact you felt the need to start a forum war says it all really
S

I don't read any papers but i do know my facts. Such as the hundreds of thousands of pounds of donors money the RSPCA has wasted on abandoned prosecutions (they weren't even allowed to progress to a verdict) thus far. Plus the hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money that has gone to pay for these cases. Like the latest down your neck of the woods somewhere where both the RSPCA 'official' and the policeman involved were censured by the judge for their over zealous and bordering on illegal actions in persecuting one person.

How the RSPCA spends the money they get will be reflected on future donations, if it is felt they spent poorly then they will see a reduction and time will tell.
'Somewhere' doesn't really sound like a fact, try questioning what you hear instead of accepting the headline sensationalist propaganda.
I think we have done this subject to death, so probably best to agree to disagree on the subject?
S

How the RSPCA spends the money they get will be reflected on future donations, if it is felt they spent poorly then they will see a reduction and time will tell.
'Somewhere' doesn't really sound like a fact, try questioning what you hear instead of accepting the headline sensationalist propaganda.
I think we have done this subject to death, so probably best to agree to disagree on the subject?
S

this issue has been a subject of a special report on Radio 4 so I think its got more legs than "sensationalist propagada"
John Waite investigates suggestions that the RSPCA may be too quick to prosecute vulnerable people whom, it claims, are neglecting or abusing their pets. Detractors say that raids by the police in co-operation with the charity sometimes leave the elderly and people with mental health issues in a state of shock, regardless of whether they are later cleared of wrongdoing, and some vets and lawyers assert that they have been unfairly targeted because of evidence given by them against the RSPCA in court
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037v4fp

this issue has been a subject of a special report on Radio 4 so I think its got more legs than "sensationalist propagada"
John Waite investigates suggestions that the RSPCA may be too quick to prosecute vulnerable people whom, it claims, are neglecting or abusing their pets. Detractors say that raids by the police in co-operation with the charity sometimes leave the elderly and people with mental health issues in a state of shock, regardless of whether they are later cleared of wrongdoing, and some vets and lawyers assert that they have been unfairly targeted because of evidence given by them against the RSPCA in court
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037v4fp

Many thanks I have heard the accusations before but will have a listen again.
S

Strikes me that there are two issues here:

1. The RSPCA using their powers incorrectly in order to prosecute people who, allegedly, abuse animals , bringing inappropriate cases to court. (And I accept that, in the past, they have done sterling work reducing the incidence of the likes of 'puppy farms' ... )

2. Are they releasing animals back into the wild that should have been destroyed and are they releasing animals into areas where they were not originally found.

(Yeh ... I know that's 3 issues but the last two are really part of the same problem if it exists.)

just keep in living in your little bubble
Only one person living in a little bubble here - somewhere just East of cloud cuckoo land I think. As an officer of the law I deal with facts not the nonsense you keep spewing. You want the somewhere - well here goes;

A Cornish judge has ruled that a police officer acted unlawfully when he tried to force his way into a Long Rock family's home and pulled a Taser on them. The policeman went to Stephen Curnow's home after being asked to help an RSPCA inspector who had been told to leave the property. The policeman had no warrant when he arrived at the house on September 6 last year, and although he later claimed that Mr Curnow, had acted in an aggressive way, Judge Christopher Harvey Clark, QC, ruled that he was in no doubt the officer had overstepped the mark and inflamed the situation..............It all started when RSPCA inspector Michael Reid visited Mr Curnow's home and asked to inspect his dogs after the charity received an anonymous tip-off that one was suffering from mange. This was later found not to be the case. Mr Reid was refused entry but in the judge's words, "he would not take no for an answer".

The judge said: "It was a case of the RSPCA inspector going too far in trying to persuade the officer to force an entry for him." "The police had no authority to enter the appellant's home," he said. "The police officer was acting in excess of his lawful authority, trespassing without a warrant."
Mr Curnow was a gamekeeper by the way which explains the over exhuberant persecution. Pointless talking to you anyway. In your self righteous little bubble facts don't matter unless they fit your viewpoint.

Only one person living in a little bubble here - somewhere just East of cloud cuckoo land I think. As an officer of the law I deal with facts not the nonsense you keep spewing. You want the somewhere - well here goes;

A Cornish judge has ruled that a police officer acted unlawfully when he tried to force his way into a Long Rock family's home and pulled a Taser on them. The policeman went to Stephen Curnow's home after being asked to help an RSPCA inspector who had been told to leave the property. The policeman had no warrant when he arrived at the house on September 6 last year, and although he later claimed that Mr Curnow, had acted in an aggressive way, Judge Christopher Harvey Clark, QC, ruled that he was in no doubt the officer had overstepped the mark and inflamed the situation..............It all started when RSPCA inspector Michael Reid visited Mr Curnow's home and asked to inspect his dogs after the charity received an anonymous tip-off that one was suffering from mange. This was later found not to be the case. Mr Reid was refused entry but in the judge's words, "he would not take no for an answer".

The judge said: "It was a case of the RSPCA inspector going too far in trying to persuade the officer to force an entry for him." "The police had no authority to enter the appellant's home," he said. "The police officer was acting in excess of his lawful authority, trespassing without a warrant."
Mr Curnow was a gamekeeper by the way which explains the over exhuberant persecution. Pointless talking to you anyway. In your self righteous little bubble facts don't matter unless they fit your viewpoint.
What a shame that you are now resorting to personal insults, as an officer of the law, I find this rather surprising and somewhat alarming.
The case you have quoted seems to me to be a case of the policeman being 'heavy handed' when asked to help the RSPCA. The RSPCA seem to have been acting in good faith and if Mr Curnow had been a little more reasonable and produced the animal to show the RSPCA that the tip-off was malicious there would not have been a problem. Oh well each to their own interpretation.
Please don't bother to respond, I wont and as it is obvious that you are now getting frustrated and this will end with one or both of us getting a ban from the forum
S

Seems to me that a few ' abuse of the law' incidents are colouring some judgements.
In the NHS I have seen some 'incidents' that were unacceptable.. but we still have a good health care.
If any animal is protected from human abuse that must be good. The RSPCA have recovered so many starving horses, donkeys, greyhounds etc etc...must be worth while.
I do hate fox hunting, so will annoy some here, but entitled to my opinion without abuse, I hope.
Biggest problem local to me.. mink - released by some nutters- and they are ravaging hens. The foxes seems to ignore them.
Yes, cull any manged animal, but otherwise , let nature be.

Latest posts

Back