Rock Hard Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just been looking at some rock hard honey that supposedly was produced by bees in a location nowhere near any farm fields. i.e. The hive was sited, so it is said, in a location that is at least 3 miles from a farm field - I checked on Google maps.
I thought honey like this was only produced by bees foraging on OSR, in which case, fibs are being told. I hope I am I wrong about this, so am I?

Or possibly, OSR was grown in someone's Stockport garden

Not sure if you are complaining about the honey, the description of the honey or what! It could be honey collected and put into frames that have previously had OSR in, could be loads of things. If we say it is wrong what do you mean to do about it!
E

OSR is not unique in setting hard, just in how quickly it goes. Most honey will set hard left to its own devices.

Urban areas produce a fair amount of ivy honey which quickly crystallises to the degree you describe
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this honey you have been given?

OSR is not unique in setting hard, just in how quickly it goes. Most honey will set hard left to its own devices.

:iagree:

The higher the glucose content the quicker it will set. Even those with a high fructose content will set eventually. May take a while though.

Glad I'm studying for module 2 now ;)

Bees will fly well over 3 miles for OSR. They won't gather a huge amount of it as they will consume some of the nectar on the return flight.

Peope have ben undone by this when following the 3 feet or 3 miles rule. They move the bees say 8 miles but unbeknown to them the bees were working OSR at the 4 mile mid-point. The bees find the OSR from the new location and then autopilot back to where they started from 8 miles away.

And as already said, other nectars produce set honey - virtually all of them in fact if you wait long enough for the setting to take place. Heather is one of the few reputed never to set.

The two main flows over here are Acacia in May and Sweet Chestnut in August.

Of my 2012 crop the Acacia is still liquid and showing no sign of granulation but the Chestnut is set absolutely solid - the nearest OSR is about 25 miles away and therefore not a factor.

My honey stays liquid for ages (got some upstairs from 2011 which still hasn't crystalised) yet my mother's cousin whose hives are only a few miles away has honey which sets fairly quickly - virtually no difference in forage either

Urban areas produce a fair amount of ivy honey which quickly crystallises to the degree you describe
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahh.
Could I tell the difference from the colour?
I could try melting some & looking for pollen.

Not sure if you are complaining about the honey, the description of the honey or what! It could be honey collected and put into frames that have previously had OSR in, could be loads of things. If we say it is wrong what do you mean to do about it!
E

Complaining about everything. I was planning to march round to the address on the label, bang loudly on the door and shout "This honey was not produced by bees in Stockport. You are a Liar and a scoundrel"

:iagree:

The higher the glucose content the quicker it will set. Even those with a high fructose content will set eventually. May take a while though.

Glad I'm studying for module 2 now ;)

I should have said it was this year's honey and it looks and tastes very like my own OSR honey

Last edited:
I have honey in buckets from jives in my apiary, some have set some have not. They must be working roughly the same forage. No OSR anywhere near my bees.

I have honey in buckets from jives in my apiary, some have set some have not. They must be working roughly the same forage. No OSR anywhere near my bees.

That's just jive-talking, Veg.

Latest posts

Back