retrieving a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren64

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
if you lose a swarm then manage to recapture it,is it ok to relocate it next to its original location,or will the bees orientate back to the original hive?

along side has worked for me in the past, but I like to move them out of the apiary for a while just so they actually have moved.

I caught 3 of my swarms last year before they took flight away from the apiary. I hived them were they swarmed, they stayed, but that meant I had hives in the garden all over the place. One settled on a potted xmas tree that my wife was waiting to plant. So that colony stayed in the middle of the lawn. You must have priorities.
Strange as we have a farm and they always settle in the garden, not on any of my other land. They must have a preference to non native ornamental trees and potted shrubs on mowed lawn. I have recently moved them away so I can return them to a better position in the apiary, its nothing to do with my wife moaning at me, honest.:rolleyes:

On the same hive stand three feet from the parent colony has been OK for me.
Swarms have a prior location mind wipe

Back