reccommend your self sufficancey tv shows

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
yes i do realise that the THE GOOD LIFE was a win,d up etc etc but it did start a generation of people thinking,

now seeing little or no tv in the 1980's , 1990's and 2000's can anyone suggest any series or shows that did look at this subject that i might have missed or not seen

yes i do realise that the THE GOOD LIFE was a win,d up etc etc but it did start a generation of people thinking,

now seeing little or no tv in the 1980's , 1990's and 2000's can anyone suggest any series or shows that did look at this subject that i might have missed or not seen

the fat of the land, john seymour.

best self sufficiency book is probably by john seymour
the complete guide to self sufficiency, for realists and dreamers!
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Complete-Book-Self-Sufficiency-realists/dp/0751364428[/ame]

Some of the show which spawned this is about self-sufficiency, even though the primary aim is to reduce environmental impact.

http://www.newhousefarm.tv/

all the stuff by HFW prior to the chicken out campaign.

you mean before HFW became HFW Ltd, lol

the cook on the wildside i was watching today, again, great stuff so is the first two series of river cottage, which i love but once he brought the farm i lost intrest in him, he does not have the edge any more for what i loved him for.

i think i will have to sit and watch river cottage tonight , unless someone here suggests some thing else, i was sure that the self sufficant ideal would have had other shows done, as for john seymor his books are a classic but i never saw him on tv or doing shows or the like, did he?

hughs 3 hungry boys, river cottage spin off not a very long series about 3 episodes i think and not the best series but it might gi ya some ideas pete

HFW has never been self sufficient even in the early days and makes it quite plain that it was and never would be the main aim. Having a film crew pretty much precludes the whole idea as you know he's being paid for it and he cannot do olive oil (substitute rapeseed oil now) and various other bits including onions cos he uses too many.

HOWEVER, he has helped people nudge their way to growing much more of their own and probably has increased the interest in allotments more than any other man.

I never realised that he came through my home town of boston on his little boat in one of the series.

I'm going on the hunt for a seventies series that revived an old walled veg garden. It was excellent back in a bit.

Baggy

new house was the " its not easy being green " team . i had not realised there was three series i saw bits of the first one, i will have to hunt it down

That's right. You might find the book useful. The library will probably have it.

thanks for the tips i shall have a look for it, i just need some thing that is not gardening persa nor is it a straight micky take, according to my missus she used to watch a tv series about a couple how up sticks to the countryside, but untill she remebers who was in it so i can google it i shall have to keep looking

what about the one set at the turn of the centuary set on a farm with all the origanal farm equipment .two men and the woman she showed you everything the woman done round the house they did all outside including rebuilding the forge ploughing pigs etc evan had a bit about bees

what about the one set at the turn of the centuary set on a farm with all the origanal farm equipment .two men and the woman she showed you everything the woman done round the house they did all outside including rebuilding the forge ploughing pigs etc evan had a bit about bees

victorian farm was the program i think

victorian farm and edwardian farm and they also did another one cant rembember what it was called, any way i have watched those. what i was looking for was a small holding or back to the land tv show or series. there was one i saw last year called the Real good life with Sue and the other chap, which was ok , but a little to tongue in cheak for me. some of the ideas were great though, the missus has still put her foot down to not allowing house train pigs in the front room and goats in the window boxes:mad::mad:

victorian farm and edwardian farm and they also did another one cant rembember what it was called
Tales from the Green Valley. A Tudor period farm in Wales.

Entertaining historical reconstruction but not really a practical guide to doing it now since it was restricted to the technology and economics of the time. If you want to try it today, there's no reason why you need to go Amish and throw out your freezer.

I recall seeing back issues of 'Self Sufficiency' magazine from the late 70s. I think it was connected to or inspired by the John Seymour books. Most strategies involved a few acres and animals like chickens, pigs and Dexter cattle. For more up to date info I would be looking at something close to modern organic practice to get respectable yields; produce stuff where it's cost effective but don't worry about rigid principles such as where your tools are sourced. Unfortunately that's not considered good telly where struggling against artificial restrictions appears to be what producers think we want.

Those Dexter cattle, are they the ones which are self-butchering :eek:

Latest posts

Back