Reaction to sting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from what i have found i think bees do give differant stings, some seem to pump loads straight in and others just dont, it makes you wonder if they can control it , the pump sac that is and what it does.

you can be bitten by an adder but some times it does not inject its vemom
my biggest concern is the neck up, i would never work a hive without a veil on, i have do in the past and have paid for it in pain so no any more, and apart from somewhere three foot lower down i have found the lip to be the most painfull place tpo be stung

The part of the body isn't allways the factor in pain or reactions, trust me!

I am now undergoing 3 years treatment due to an accident with bees. I was stung on the legs, and that was by far the most painful thing I have had, regards stings, even though before that on the legs it was fine, I think it might be as you say the ammount of venom. I had a high number of stings, so more venom, and a serious reaction.

If anyone wants information on reactions or treatment pm me!

Cheers

Dave

Two months into beekeeping and I was attending the local BKA apiary for some hands on experience.
My adviser never turned up on that Sunday and it was really sweltering hot that day. So I decided not to wear my wellies.
As I was the only member present I thought in for a penny in for a pound.

Unbeknown to me the apiary manager had passed the message round that No 2 hive was extremely lively. No I did not get that message.

Smoked the colony and waited two mins. then off with the roof, crown board and just as I was teasing the QE off they attacked. I was covered all over my head, arms and yes you guessed it around my ankles.
I shut up shop and replaced everything except the bees, and ran into a thicket. I did not get stung on the body except for my ankles which at that time were agonisingly painful.

That evening my legs began to swell up so my wife took me to hospital as eventually I could not put any pressure on my legs as the skin had become taught with the swelling.

After 201 stings had been removed by the doctor he said he was now giving
up on counting.

I was kept in over night and released the following day.

Now if I get stung its itchy for about half an hour then nothing.

Regards;

Hi

Be careful after high numbers of stings as you may have little or no reaction then one day a ramdom sting will push you over the edge and you will be sensitized. You may be as well to request a RAST test after such episodes to see where you are with allergy to stings.

Cheers

Dave

Its interesting to read others comments on stings, i think i have posted before about how a sting from one hive can differ in pain from the next.

I took one today,(wearing nitrile gloves), nowhere special, just the top third of one of my fingers, i have never had to hold an area where i have been stung before, it felt like the end of my finger was about to explode, and the pain had such intensity like i have never had before. Trust me when i say, i am very good with pain, so this is why it shocked me so much.

I do sometimes wonder with each sting received, rather than becomming immune to the venom, am i perhaps going the other way !!.

I took a sting last Wednesday, which was my own fault really since I was moving a hive without gloves on. Apart from the pain etc of the sting, it has done wonders for my psoriasis! So not all bad news :)

Got stung on the bum today, bent over to pick up a new super to put on and ZAP, only thing hurt was me "pride" :) devils own game getting the smoke back there LOL, and the wife’s still laughing about my contortions.

Rich

I took a sting on the inside of my left wrist joint about 5 weeks ago with no problems or swelling,2 weeks later I took one on the outside of the wrist at the same joint and after 24 hours could not get a glove on and it moved down the hand to the extent I could not see my knuckles,it looked like I had a boxing glove on.

Funny thing is the first sting I just carried on with the inspection without a word but the second sting 2 weeks later was the first time I have yelped at a sting and said "£$%^!!! a few times.

I took a sting on the inside of my left wrist joint about 5 weeks ago with no problems or swelling,2 weeks later I took one on the outside of the wrist at the same joint and after 24 hours could not get a glove on and it moved down the hand to the extent I could not see my knuckles,it looked like I had a boxing glove on.

Funny thing is the first sting I just carried on with the inspection without a word but the second sting 2 weeks later was the first time I have yelped at a sting and said "£$%^!!! a few times.

Both stings the same bees or two hives?

Jez

201 stings is scary Bcrazy.
I took about 20 around the ankles last year after opening a normally very docile nuc and I have made sure to wear wellies ever since.
I had to wear slippers for 3 days after that.

One thing to remember is don't panic Captain Mainwaring.
If you get stung on the finger and drop the frame you are holding things will rapidly get a hell of a lot worse.

I would say on average I take no more than 6-8 stings per week and it's quite a while since I got one on the face.

Last edited:
Hi

I remember going through hives for the second or third time, with a local beekeeper, when he picked the super up, the brood box was stuck to it, not sure why he didn't notice the extra weight, but before I could get a word out, the brood fell off! Bang and we were both black with bees, in the middle of a chicken run/orchard!

Anyway my sheriff suit and wellies did me proud, got no stings, I stayed calm during that.

Cheers

Dave

I was stung twice a few weeks back (temple and wrist) - did nothing. Next morning, thought I'd had a stroke in the night! Right side of face swollen, numb, and immobile!!!!
Stung on the nose this morning. Took piriton immediately, and so far (fingers crossed), no pain or swelling at all.
I think some bees are just better stingers than others.

Latest posts

Back