Rapeseed honey to soft set

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just extracted a fair amount of mostly rapeseed honey. My plan is to make soft set honey by using a seed. I watched the video on here that explains how to go about it and it suggests allowing the honey to set at a temperature of 14 degrees is best. How is that achieved? The only way I can think of doing this is to wait until say October when the temperature is consistently below 14 and use a warming cabinet set to this temperature. Is that how it is done ? I have a big thermostatically controlled warming cabinet, so I can do it.

IT surely starts to crystallize in under 20C temperature.
14C is fastes temp.
You must stir it every day that it devide crystall seeds.

Stir it so, that air bubbles wil not go inside the honey. They are devided in stirring, and makes foam on jar surface.

Last edited:
My friend handles it so, that he has timin cutter in freezener, and he gives so much electrict, that temp is proper.

Old fridge works same way.

Same fridge works as warming kabinet as well.

Last edited:
Yep, as Finny. And HM. Rather depends on patience. 14 Celsius is the optimum but, as Finny says, it will granulate at other temperatures (not all, of course).

IF you must try to maintain 14 degrees:

A bucket - use a fridge, with an STC 1000 temperature controller (per eg)

Several buckets - use a chest freezer.

Tonne amounts - use a walk in temperature controlled unit.

A cellar might be a good storage area, if one is available?

Quite simple. But do remember the honey will need agitation regularly, to achieve the desired effect.

Sorry, I am confused again. According to the video, you mix the seed with the bulk in a large bucket, stir really well , run into jars and then leave the jars at 14 deg. I will have about 300 jars, so I am not sure I have the time/patience to stir 300 jars every day! If, however, I put it in buckets to crystallise so I can stir it, I will have to warm it up again to get it into the jars. Will it then go back to soft set?

Sorry, I am confused again. According to the video, you mix the seed with the bulk in a large bucket, stir really well , run into jars and then leave the jars at 14 deg. I will have about 300 jars, so I am not sure I have the time/patience to stir 300 jars every day! If, however, I put it in buckets to crystallise so I can stir it, I will have to warm it up again to get it into the jars. Will it then go back to soft set?

You get very hard honey with that system.

You have nursed your hives the whole year, and in critical moment you do not have not time to make quality honey.

May the Force be with you!

You don't leave it set all the way in the bucket - just until you have a pourable 'sludge' it them completes the setting in the jar

Latest posts

Back