Rapeseed Honey Extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 (carniolan)
Very new to this.. been reading up on various methods of extraction and various extraction boards. The book I am reading at the moment says they can't be used with rapeseed honey. The only method suggested is smoke them, brush them and hope for the best?! Is this really the only method? Thanks

Very new to this.. been reading up on various methods of extraction and various extraction boards. The book I am reading at the moment says they can't be used with rapeseed honey. The only method suggested is smoke them, brush them and hope for the best?! Is this really the only method? Thanks

60% out of my yield during 40 years have been rape honey. Nothing odd in extracting.

Crysrallization after extraction is quite quick. You must stir honey that it will get soft structure. Spring honey is more difficult, because out temps are low and honey will crystallize in cold edges of hive.

Another thing is, that do not store capped honey combs many days outside of hive heat. When you start to extract honey, it may be hard.

With OSR honey speed is of the essence. Left in the cool of a bee free super it can set very quickly.
I don't use smoke in supers, shake off most of the bees and brush off last few.

Put on a rhombus escape,leave overnight and remove the next morning, extract asap.
Cazza

Hi Folks,
Don,t laugh, But I have a box of frames from 2014 which is OSR.
I would like to extract the crystalized honey if possible, not really worried about saving the honey but I would like to keep the drawn foundation if possible. Any ideas ?
This year I was more on the ball and extracted early, Lesson learned.

Best regards to you all.

Hi Folks,
Don,t laugh, But I have a box of frames from 2014 which is OSR.
I would like to extract the crystalized honey if possible, not really worried about saving the honey but I would like to keep the drawn foundation if possible. Any ideas ?
This year I was more on the ball and extracted early, Lesson learned.

Best regards to you all.

Scratch the cappings on all affected frames, then run warm tap water over them, shake off surplus water and quickly give the frames back to the bees who will clean them up and remove the watered down honey into supers for later extraction. There is no better way of dealing with this problem.

Hi ,
Sounds good to me , I would assume you remove the reconstituted honey soon after the bees have processed it, but before it re-crystalizes ? otherwise you (me) would be back to square one ..

The book I am reading suggests that with a bee escape placed on the hive the OSR will crystallise in the frames, this is because the bees won't be there in the super to keep it warm and so the overnight cold temps will ruin it. It's good to hear others have success with the escape boards. First I'm going to try Fischer's Bee Quick. Thanks for all the advice really appreciate it.

using a bee escape shouldn't affect the honey, if you put in on in the middle of the day, the super will be empty of bees in a couple of hours and you can then take the whole super off to take the honey.

Of course as you say, if you leave it overnight and it's cold...

The only method suggested is smoke them, brush them and hope for the best?! Is this really the only method? Thanks

Take a super off from hive.
Wait 10 minutes. Bees become nervous
Bees suck themselves full of honey.
Take fast the frame into your left hand
Hit with twist onto the hand
Shake bees into ground in front of entrance
Brush the last,10 bees off

Thats it

Latest posts

Back