The June gap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nbw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

So I am at a sufficient level of supers on my hives at the moment. I have been reading about the June Gap and I am wondering if I should remove supers in June to extract ready for July and onwards. Or should I leave them?

Thanks
Nick.

We don't seem to get it any more, certainly down south but I remove supers as they fill up. Some remove them all at once. A personal choice really

Reactions: Nbw
Hi all

So I am at a sufficient level of supers on my hives at the moment. I have been reading about the June Gap and I am wondering if I should remove supers in June to extract ready for July and onwards. Or should I leave them?

Thanks
Nick.
If they’re capped and ready, remove them and put them back in sufficient numbers to allow the colony enough space.

If you do get a gap and remove supers, check you have enough stores in the BB
I've had strong production colonies clear two supers of stores and almost starve - all in a week, during a June gap

Mine have quietened right down. Scouts still busy though. It won’t be long after the weekend’s rain.

Latest posts

Back