questionable teaching or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I vaguely rememeber Mr Roger saying to store supers so that wax moth, mice and spiders don't get in.
Some one above has had wax moth in their supers? Roger also says how stressful shook swarms are for the bees?
Lol im guessing you don't like Roger, did he get the invites you wanted or something 😂?
Calm down gentle men ! The art of beekeepking is choosing one’s own design .bearing in mind the ground rules laid down at art college .
squabbling over the minuea ,often spiteful , doesn’t help anyone 🙄

Calm down gentle men ! The art of beekeepking is choosing one’s own design .bearing in mind the ground rules laid down at art college .
squabbling over the minuea ,often spiteful , doesn’t help anyone 🙄
Hang on I replied to the snotty quote the bloke said with an equally snotty reply, I agree it dosnt but I didn't start it 🤷‍♂️

@Rob - Some reasons I use them 100% of the time -

Wax moths; supers used purely for honey production can be stored wet and I've yet to have issues with moths, if the combs had brood the moths move in (try it). Drones, I like to keep them out of the supers. Speed, knowing the queen location means faster super processing and moving boxes around including removing the bees. They might reduce honey production, fixed by adding a few more hives. Brood config; quick glance and I'll know if the units are single or DB (all the boxes are the same size).
I store my supers wet ... Never had wax moth in stored supers. Untreated brood frames - definite risk and I use Dipel to resolve that ...

Hang on I replied to the snotty quote the bloke said with an equally snotty reply, I agree it dosnt but I didn't start it 🤷‍♂️
Fair do‘s but but that’s all it takes ,one snotty comment followed by one snotty retort and it escalates.
I promise not to leave with a snotty remark .
😉

One can only assume these snippets of info are not included in the beginners classes of Sussex. They mustfocus on shook swarms and queen squishing demo’s😉…….I’ll get my coat!
I don't think it's an isolated problem ...some beginners courses really don't provide the peripheral beekeeping information that you find on here - indeed, a lot of the things which we find common knowledge on here are not even included in many bee books... I've had so many conversations with new beekeepers who, whilst they know about brood cycles, varroa, disease, artificial swarms and making increase, do not understand either the reasons behind some things or the mechanics of what you do have been glossed over.

Credit to those people who run courses, end them with practical teaching and explain the reasons behind what is being done.

I'll have to look into that Dipel if I ever get wax moth problems thanks very much.
Dipel is a preventative treatment - once you have a wax moth infestation the frames are rapidly destroyed and Dipel won't help much. Dipel is a Bacillus which attacks the wax moth larvae and prevent them developing ... if they do develop they die at a very early stage so you don't get the tracks, cocoons and faeces that render the comb unusable.

It's not a cheap product but clubbing together with a few beekeepers makes it viable. It's supposedly got a shelf life of a year or so but I've got some older than that and it's still working.

Use it anyway then you won't get the problems
I’ve been keeping bees since before varroa,
wax moths in supers were unheard of at these latitudes.
back then we understood that supers would only be attacked by the large wax moth But then not many beeks used supers for brooding .it was either single brood box or double brood box .
blame global warming it’s responsible for all our ills ..😂😂😂

back then we understood that supers would only be attacked by the large wax moth But then not many beeks used supers for brooding .it was either single brood box or double brood box .
I envey you I bet bee keeping was a great deal better back then!
Haha dont get me started on global warming 😬😂.

Wasn’t that in the good old days when we had those PHB crystals that between every few supers we could add a sheet of newspaper and a liberal sprinkling!

Dipel is a preventative treatment - once you have a wax moth infestation the frames are rapidly destroyed and Dipel won't help much. Dipel is a Bacillus which attacks the wax moth larvae and prevent them developing ... if they do develop they die at a very early stage so you don't get the tracks, cocoons and faeces that render the comb unusable.

It's not a cheap product but clubbing together with a few beekeepers makes it viable. It's supposedly got a shelf life of a year or so but I've got some older than that and it's still working.
How do you spray it onto the frames, is it technically legal to spray onto items that will be used for the human food chain?

I envey you I bet bee keeping was a great deal better back then!
Haha dont get me started on global warming 😬😂.
Swarm control, adding supers and disease checks .
some of the old guy ,probably half my present age , who had the attitude “ if the swarm, they swarm ,peering over QX that was screwed down and had been for ever ! 😂😂

Swarm control, adding supers and disease checks .
some of the old guy ,probably half my present age , who had the attitude “ if the swarm, they swarm ,peering over QX that was screwed down and had been for ever ! 😂😂
Haha but atleast the swarm had a better chance of survival with less housing estates all over the place I'd guess !

W dosnt the wet honey ferment?
Yes but the bees don’t care, there’s hardly much of it and they are straight up into the supers in the spring.
I didnt know that, I thought that's why it was important to have enough space in the supers to avoid the brood box getting back filled.

Pollen on the other hand gets deposited in a cell by the bee foraging it. It’s why if you are on double brood you often get a bottom box stuffed with pollen if the nest doesn’t extend down there.

Back