queens still getting mated.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
queens still getting mated away here and more to come.
with the bad weather all summer these ones will probably do better? and with some good weather the ivy flow is very big in my area so hopefully they should be fine,i made up two more small mating nucs with queen cells a few days ago just out of interest to see how they do.
Darren

I found three queen cells/cups with royal jelly in one hive today, So i guess they want to swarm? Adam

Or supersede

QC's going into mini-nucs tomorrow - last batch of the year and a bit of an experiment.

I had 10 queens come into lay in apideas in the last few days. Another 3 over the next 2 weeks and then i am done. Its surprising how you use a lot of them up, going over your hives with queens lost and bad brood patterns due to bad matings.

My cast swarm has brought pollen in for two days and seem to have more purpose, so I hope my virgin has started to lay. Still bothered by robbers though and they are dispatching them. How long will this go on?

My cast swarm has brought pollen in for two days and seem to have more purpose, so I hope my virgin has started to lay. Still bothered by robbers though and they are dispatching them. How long will this go on?

close down your entrance to one bee space and save your bees having to defend a large entrance

18 Black Cornish queens sent off to mate on Rame on Monday...... hope it is true that they make love when others find it too wet too woo !

close down your entrance to one bee space and save your bees having to defend a large entrance

Thanks for the visual Keith. I have done that, but they are still coming! Maybe this goes on all the time with the other hives, but I am only noticing it on this one because its the only one which I have not got a confirmed laying queen in, so I spend more time watching them?

Latest posts

Back