Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
Ok, I spent 2 weeks looking through 2 of my hives for queens and no sign, thymol was on but they reacted like they were queenless - ordered queens and then one last check today on both and can you believe it!!!

I found them both!!!

gggrrr

Ok, currently there is chance at the end of this weekend I will have a couple of mated ladies available.....mixed race etc etc

PM me if there is an interested.

Cheers

Jez

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ok, I spent 2 weeks looking through 2 of my hives for queens and no sign, thymol was on but they reacted like they were queenless - ordered queens and then one last check today on both and can you believe it!!!

I found them both!!!

gggrrr

Ok, currently there is chance at the end of this weekend I will have a couple of mated ladies available.....mixed race etc etc

PM me if there is an interested.

Cheers

Jez
Thymol has the effect of stopping brood developing, eggs are laid but do not develop into larvae ! maybe the strong scent overpowers the pheromone that normally signals attention required by the nurse bees ?

John Wilkinson

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
Thymol has the effect of stopping brood developing, eggs are laid but do not develop into larvae ! maybe the strong scent overpowers the pheromone that normally signals attention required by the nurse bees ?

John Wilkinson
Yeh, I think what threw me was the reaction of the bees too, I would have put money on one being queenless - another lesson learnt.

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives

tidymeup 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
not quite sure now i look at it now. doh, will try again.

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives

Latest posts