queen rearing wheel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ADMIN
STIKKIE THIS !!!

Thanks
and it is big enough for a myopic old beebreeder like me to read!!

Yeghes da

Another brick would be of more use than that thing.

Ok so you are in the apiary of forty boxes and one has your precious cells in it. Will the wheel tell you or will the extra brick on the roof?

I know which I prefer.

In fact when I was raising forty+ queens a season bricks were my key.

I sprayed plain gray bricks with red, yellow and blue sides. What they represented to me is for me but on walking on site at a glance the starters, the open cells and the emerging cells were obvious.

PH

wow hive maker you sure know how to put a dampener on posting

Dont take it personally but to serious beekeepers bricks can be handy whilst faddy gimmicky things a distraction from focusing on the bees.

Dont take it personally but to serious beekeepers bricks can be handy whilst faddy gimmicky things a distraction from focusing on the bees.

I suppose that means I'm not a serious beekeeper because I have a spreadsheet that does much the same thing. Maybe I should put a brick on my laptop though

I suppose that means I'm not a serious beekeeper because I have a spreadsheet that does much the same thing. Maybe I should put a brick on my laptop though

Whatever floats your boat

some people have done this for years and can see what stage the cell is, and tell you when it will hatch , this is for them to look at over winter that cannot tell what stage a cell is, might give some an idea of the process, bricks are for keeping roofs on, but I prefer straps on good job we have youtube to help.
ps what happened to finmans post

I have never heard of bricks before, it's making me think again about my drawing pin method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:iagree:
I suppose that means I'm not a serious beekeeper because I have a spreadsheet that does much the same thing.

When you get to raising a serious number of queens, without our spreadsheets / database we would be sunk. Everyday we need to know where to go and what needs doing. Timing is everything.

Be impossible with bricks and a memory like mine !

Be impossible with bricks and a memory like mine !

Bricks are fine while you're actually in the apiary (assuming you are only using one apiary for all your queen rearing activities), but as soon as you leave the apiary/ies, some sort of remote system is necessary.

I raise several hundred a year quite successfully without touching a computer and just brief notes in the diary. Each batch has genealogies going back as far as possible for the queen mothers, some lines going back twenty years. The thought of tapping it all into a spreadsheet would take all the joy of it out for me, as I said, whatever floats your boat.

Bricks are fine while you're actually in the apiary (assuming you are only using one apiary for all your queen rearing activities), but as soon as you leave the apiary/ies, some sort of remote system is necessary.

A wheelbarrow to carry the bricks home?

I raise several hundred a year quite successfully without touching a computer and just brief notes in the diary.

Just some dates in the diary used here as well, no need of spread sheets or rotating wheel objects, but then I only rear a handful of queens per season so not really necessary, as I can easily remember most of what I'm doing.

Back