queen rearing wheel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
, as I can easily remember most of what I'm doing.

Lucky you!
I sometimes imagine I can, until I realise I've forgotten. It only becomes a problem when I've also forgotten/overlooked putting a note in the diary, which sometimes happens when I'm struggling to juggle everything. One day maybe I'll have time for wheels and spreadsheets and such, hopefully I'll find something better to do with that time.

Just some dates in the diary used here as well, no need of spread sheets or rotating wheel objects, but then I only rear a handful of queens per season so not really necessary, as I can easily remember most of what I'm doing.

Me too Pete. I do use a date book, and write down the day's tasks. I'm on an 8 day schedule and doing 2 schedules at once. I number the days 1-8, 1-8, 1-8, etc. My days are no longer Monday, Tuesday, etc. Now they are Day 1/5: cell builder setup, cell harvest, Day 2/6: comb in breeder, Day 3/7: grafting day, Day 4/8: catch queen/re-unite cell builders, Day 5/1: Cell harvest, cell builder setup. An so on from early May until the last queens are caught in August. Every day has a different task, somewhere in the queen rearing cycle.

I do use a date book, and write down the day's tasks.

It doesn't matter whether its in a book or on a computer, the point is that there is some form of remote record keeping. For me, its not just the queen rearing activities but the combinations of dam and sire that I keep track of.

I use this... a separate sheet for each queen rearing run, and on reverse of sheet... colony used to make up apidea, cell raiser, cell finisher, incubator number.... notes of results, queen that laid eggs which drones were used and or site where open mated.... and nuc used to finish... etc etc.

http://bibba.com/queen-rearing-timetable-toms-table/

Yeghes da

Shucks alot of hassle, hey newbies better to import Queens than learn all this stuff about Queen rearing

Sent from my E2105 using Tapatalk

Shucks alot of hassle, hey newbies better to import Queens than learn all this stuff about Queen rearing

Thats not necessarily a better solution either.
As with most things, if you want a quality product, you either have to make it yourself or buy it. Unless you buy it from someone you know to be producing good queens, you might as well throw your money away.

Sent from my E2105 using Tapatalk

And thereby hangs the problem!

Why may I ask bother to keep bees at all... when one can purchase it from M&S:icon_204-2:

Wos you trying to bee ironic??

Yeghes da

I just thought that for someone new to bee keeping they could learn from this "and else where", it would show them the information from there arm chairs, so we didn't have to rely on overseas queens.

I just thought that for someone new to bee keeping they could learn from this "and else where", it would show them the information from there arm chairs, so we didn't have to rely on overseas queens.

:iagree: that this could be useful thing for some new beekeepers, that might even get them thinking about learning some more about queen rearing.

:iagree: that this could be useful thing for some new beekeepers, that might even get them thinking about learning some more about queen rearing.

Queen rearing is not a job of new beekeepers.

Basic thing in rearing is that you have colonies, from where you can select good mother queens. Then hives must be tens.

To get new queens? You just cut swarming cells and put 15 into cage. And what do you do with them after that? And the quality of queens is ordinary.

To rear own drones? ... Second rubbish idea on the area, where sky is full of mongrels. So called "local bees".

Most of British queen import comes from Hawaij.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back