Quality of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyatcwfarm

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 colonies(national) 1 nuc
Iv just purchased my first refractometer and checked the honey iv extracted this year
The Spring honey came in just below 16 and the summer one exactly 16
My questions are does the quality of honey increase with a reduction in water content?
Would there be a noticeable taste difference between a honey at 19 compared to one at 16?
Thanks

I would say no to both. All the water content affects is possibility of fermentation
E

I think it has more effect on the texture and mouthfeel of clear/runny honey.
Although floral source probably has a greater role ( I'm thinking thixotropic heather honey in particular which is permitted to go up to 23% water).

Would a honey packer dealing with honey by the ton dilute down some low % water honey?

- Biggest difference is, whom where flowers bees get the main yield: Where are pastures.
- next, how do you mix different aromas
- when the honey crystallize, the taste changes a lot.

And a little bit water, and you think that it could change the aroma.

You can always dilute your honey and see for yourself?

Wouldn’t work .
The added water would be from a different source than that evaporated by the bees .
Distilled water may do the trick ? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Would a honey packer dealing with honey by the ton dilute down some low % water honey?
More good guestion....

No they would just add more corn syrup and honey flavoring... plus a bit of Sunset Yellow food colouring !

Yeghes da

I personally prefer eating a lower moisture honey compared to a higher moisture off the same source.

I was being ironic!
:sorry: If you could not see that!!

Although I have tasted some Supermarket honey recently that appeared to be just that... bright yellow and sugary.

Nos da

I guessed that!

Going back to the honey dilution question....

If you had 10 tonnes of honey (=10,000kg) at 15% moisture, you could add ~500 litres of water and still be comfortably under 20% (19% by my back of envelope maths). If you pasteurise fermentation isn't going to be a concern and you've just increased your stock by 5% for very little effort.

I'm fairly sure winemakers legitimately do something similar to 'improve' wine, particularly if it's a generic brand.

I guessed that!

If you had 10 tonnes of honey (=10,000kg) at 15% moisture, you could add ~500 litres of water and still be comfortably under 20% (19% by my back of envelope maths). If you pasteurise fermentation isn't going to be a concern and you've just increased your stock by 5% for very little effort.

I'm fairly sure winemakers legitimately do something similar to 'improve' wine, particularly if it's a generic brand.

little f-ing effort....you try stiring that lot

I guessed that!

Some would consider that adulteration..... I am sure Supermarket chicken was injected with water to increase weight.. until the food standards lot caught up with the practice?:calmdown:

Nos da

Latest posts

Back