Types of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westawake90

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Morning all,

After a tough summer managed to get a couple of supers from my hives. They thankfully look strong going into the winter.

Just one question the honey in some of the frames is a very dark colour and very hard to spin out. What sort of honey is this?

Go give it a poke….heather will be like jelly and that’s what my moneys on!

Doesn’t seem to be crystallised, flavour would be quite strong, would this mean heather?

Doesn’t seem to be crystallised, flavour would be quite strong, would this mean heather?
Possibly….. you’re likely to find the consistency a good indication perhaps more than flavour if you don’t know what you’re looking at. If you give an individual cell a squeeze you’ll end up with a blob rather like jelly but softer in texture. Heather is slow to crystallise and forms large individual crystals. In jars it’s thick enough to hold bubbles in suspension, obviously depending on how much heather is actually there if all mixed in with other honeys.
As asked previously do you have any within range of your bees.

On further looking the jars that I have managed to extract are holding air bubbles. There is some heather in the locality but didn’t think it was within range. Can it be spun out eventually?

Latest posts

Back