QE in or out for winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looking for advice re the QE.
Currently my set up is brood box; QE; crown board; empty super containing takeaway container of fondant; 75mm slab of Kingspan; roof,
Question is do I leave the QE on or remove it? The bees are munching the fondant so I assume that they will feed the queen without the need for her to access the food herself.
Is it best to (a) remove the QE, (b) leave it in place, (c) does it matter either way?

Looking for advice re the QE.
Currently my set up is brood box; QE; crown board; empty super containing takeaway container of fondant; 75mm slab of Kingspan; roof,
Question is do I leave the QE on or remove it? The bees are munching the fondant so I assume that they will feed the queen without the need for her to access the food herself.
Is it best to (a) remove the QE, (b) leave it in place, (c) does it matter either way?
No harm in storing the QE above the crown board over winter if you're short of storage space, as I am. More importantly, if you overwinter with BB and super, never leave the QE between the two boxes - the bees may follow the stores and leave the Q behind or they may loyally stay with the Q and fail to visit the stores beyond the QE.

Latest posts

Back