Applying Fondant in a WBC Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Beginner here... I plan to put fondant into the hives later. I've read that it should be placed directly onto of the frames, over the brood.
So, idiot question: what exactly does that mean?
Do I simply place the uncovered block on top of the brood box?
Do I leave the side and top of the block covered to stop it drying out? Does it matter?
I've read somewhere that I should roll it out onto the top; is that so and why?
Finally, I'm assuming that the whole fondant arrangement needs to be contained within the hive in order to conserve heat etc. So I'm planning to put an empty super (no frames) on top of the brood box, put the fondant in the super box (on top of the brood box frames), and then put the crown board on top. Is that about right?
Grateful for any advice from WBC hive owners.

If fondant is your autumn feed
Cut a big slit in the bag put whole lot over QX surround by super
If it’s a syrup top up then don’t bother till February when it can either go in a container over the feeder hole or rolled out and put on top bars

Several different ways to feed fondant now, most of them fine.

Putting fondant directly on the top bars is fine (cut holes in bottom of bag as mentioned above - leave top and sides covered), or you can put it on a queen excluder.

Personally if your crownboard has a hole in it then I would put the fondant bag (or container) above the crownboard hole, with the sides and top of the fondant protected from drying out with plastic (some people use greaseproof paper instead I think). This way avoids a void above the brood nest and thus keeps the brood nest as toasty as possible. It also allows you to replace the fondant bag/container when needed with minimal interference to the bees. Put a super on, as you say, above the crownboard, to provide room.

But most other ways work just fine too.

Several different ways to feed fondant now, most of them fine.

Putting fondant directly on the top bars is fine (cut holes in bottom of bag as mentioned above - leave top and sides covered), or you can put it on a queen excluder.

Personally if your crownboard has a hole in it then I would put the fondant bag (or container) above the crownboard hole, with the sides and top of the fondant protected from drying out with plastic (some people use greaseproof paper instead I think). This way avoids a void above the brood nest and thus keeps the brood nest as toasty as possible. It also allows you to replace the fondant bag/container when needed with minimal interference to the bees. Put a super on, as you say, above the crownboard, to provide room.

But most other ways work just fine too.

If you want minimum intervention in winter - and certainly no bee disturbance, the above is ideal.

I use clingfilm which wraps better than Gproof paper but if you object to plastic being shredded through the hive :eek:

Thanks. That's very helpful.
And with regard to feeding syrup vs fondant, would I be correct in saying that syrup is best as we move into autumn and then switch to fondant at the close of the year? Or does it not really matter?

Thanks. That's very helpful.
And with regard to feeding syrup vs fondant, would I be correct in saying that syrup is best as we move into autumn and then switch to fondant at the close of the year? Or does it not really matter?

If you are doing something specific like trying to get a late-season box of foundation drawn, then syrup would certainly have the edge (though fondant could still work).

But if (like me) all you are doing is supplemental feeding to help the bees fill their winter nest with stores over the next two months, then there really isn't much in it. Syrup still arguably has the edge (maybe it's slightly easier for the bees to take down and store), but fondant does the job perfectly well. So use whatever you find easiest to put on. I use nothing but fondant these days for reasons of convenience, and the bees seem very happy with it!

Beginner here... I plan to put fondant into the hives later. I've read that it should be placed directly onto of the frames, over the brood.
So, idiot question: what exactly does that mean?
Do I simply place the uncovered block on top of the brood box?
Do I leave the side and top of the block covered to stop it drying out? Does it matter?
I've read somewhere that I should roll it out onto the top; is that so and why?
Finally, I'm assuming that the whole fondant arrangement needs to be contained within the hive in order to conserve heat etc. So I'm planning to put an empty super (no frames) on top of the brood box, put the fondant in the super box (on top of the brood box frames), and then put the crown board on top. Is that about right?
Grateful for any advice from WBC hive owners.
Hi I have WBCs. I always use glass or polycarb crownboards so I can see the colony in the winter. If the colony is strong and covering the tops of most of the frames I put fondant pack after slitting down the middle, directly over the crownboard. See pic.
If they are weaker ie covering half the frames or less, I put a rimmed queen excluder and eke on top of the brood box and lay the fondant bag slit open directly on top of the cluster, so it’s directly over the bees heads. The excluder stops squashing any bees when adding and also reduces the chance of any fondant dribbling down the frames
These days I find if I leave enough honey on and top up with invert in the autumn, very few colonies need fondant, but always heft or measure weight to check

Attachments

• FDDC5437-94B2-4D49-A2B5-B09A57ECF266.jpeg
    FDDC5437-94B2-4D49-A2B5-B09A57ECF266.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back