Q about OA vaporiser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Ok my set up is Langstroth OMF, brood box, QX removed to allow the bees to move up into a full super of honey left for their winter stores, CB hole covered then another super with 100mm Kingspan inside, roof. The whole thing is then covered with a 50mm Kingspan jacket so 100mm below roof 50mm above roof. Last week I inserted the inspection tray and checked it 2 days later, Saturday, a couple of mites but my concern was it was wet! Thinking it was raining when I put it in didn’t bother too much.
Vaped the hive Saturday and just removed the inspection tray this morning, only 4 mites but again a pool of water.
Q’s - does vaping cause condensation?
With only a 30mm entrance will it be better to leave the inspection tray out to aid ventilation?
Is there any way of checking the condition of the hive without opening up?
Thanks

Bees eat honey and produce CO2 and water.The water condenses on the colder surfaces: which on a poly hive - or a well insulated one- is the varroa floor.Mine are always damp in winter..

The only things I do to check condition is to heft - and when I vape,listen for them to buzz. Where I have hives with clear CBs, I lift roof to see.. Apart from that, I have narrow entrances (if standard ) or underfloor ones..

I have all OMF closed over winter.. No issues in many hive years of winter

You don't need the inspection tray in but if you want it in then yes there will be water on it from condensation the hive is warmer than the air around it.
E

Thanks, probably just worried about nothing. I am pretty sure there should be no condensation above the bees probably just running down the inside walls. Just done the 2 hives on the allotment exactly same set up but the boards there were mostly dry.
Forgot to say all hives are pine painted on the outside

A lot of water in the underfloor tray or board is often due to rain driving in through the entrance and falling through the open mesh floor.

Wood painted on the outside will not be pervious to water, hence will not wick away any condensation from the inside of the hive. All my wooden hives are coated with clear, breathable wood preserver for this very reason.

Wood painted on the outside will not be pervious to water, hence will not wick away any condensation from the inside of the hive. All my wooden hives are coated with clear, breathable wood preserver for this very reason.
I've noticed over the years my poly hives have condensation on the underside of the clear crown board. It does not matter whether there is insulation or not. Bees still survive.

I bought two of the old Paynes hives when they first introduced them. I got a lot of condensation on underside of clear cover board. Roofs were too thin. Two inches of celotex glued onto roof solved the problem.

Bees have been out in numbers over the past 3 days and all looks ok, from what I can see. Going to just have to see how it goes, I have removed the inspection tray, there is more insulation above than on the sides so in theory should not have condensation above the bees. Possibly go for clear crown boards for next year.
The thing that puzzled me is that both hives on the allotment are the same set up (except they have under floor entrances) I know it was mentioned that rain could have blown in the entrance but it is sheltered and shielded from wind and rain so not likely. Thanks for the replies I guess it’s one for me to monitor I think.

i have both plastic and plywood monitoring boards, usually the plastic ones can be quite wet when the plywood ones are usually dry,

i have both plastic and plywood monitoring boards, usually the plastic ones can be quite wet when the plywood ones are usually dry,

Regardless of what boards you use John it is just about impossible for the wind to blow water into (Underfloor entrances) or is me missing something again..

I might have missed something here but rain can not blow up and in on under floor entrances..

May have confused the issue - my 2 hives UFE are both dry. My hive with a 30mm tunnel entrance is the one with the wet inspection board but I’m positive rain could not have blown in.

Last edited:
I bought two of the old Paynes hives when they first introduced them. I got a lot of condensation on underside of clear cover board. Roofs were too thin. Two inches of celotex glued onto roof solved the problem.

this is interesting ... I ONLY have them (painted garish ktm orange and drz yellow) .. maybe I should try that ..

Or two "Matchsticks" LOL!

Regardless of what boards you use John it is just about impossible for the wind to blow water into (Underfloor entrances) or is me missing something again..

absolutely Steve its usually just condensation on the cold plastic, whereas the wood is slightly warmer and may absorb some of the moisture,

On the other hand.
Could the condensation actually be beneficial in some way to the colony during winter?
They would not need to go out for water to dilute their fondant stores as there is a ready supply on the ceiling.

Back