Putting frames into brood box with no foundation???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyroberts07

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone

I hope you all had a good weekend

My Question??? Is it ok to put frames into a new broad box with out any wax foundation in them.

Will the bees build onto the frames themselves???,

Thanks
AR

I'm new to this myself, but my understanding is that the bees will build loads of wild comb to fill the spaces in a random way then you'l have real trouble getting fromes out in the future.

but don't take my word for it. you'll probably get a more informed answer from a more experienced contributor in due course.

Regard
Martin.

when I recieved my first NUC (last year), the NUC comb was made from strips of wax attached to the uppermost part of the frame.

The bees quite happily created more comb to fill most of the gap.

However, after a couple of months the bees filled the frame with brood and stores and one hot day (I think there WAS only one hot day last year!!) the frame collapsed while I was inspecting it... stores, brood and wax flopped across the top of the frames... :banghead:

I am tempted to try it on a super for cut comb, but nothing else

thanks peteinwilts

i will put some frames with foundation in. i think this is best now.

Hi Everyone
Is it ok to put frames into a new broad box with out any wax foundation in them.

AR, Curious why you asked this one? with 7+ hives you cant be short of kit.

JEz

Good point......

i have checked them and they are building really quickly, i have some brood boxes and frames but no foundation, i will get some this week, i just dont want to get caught out with them swarming

AR

if it is an emegency rub some brace comb along the underside of the new top bar in the empty frame

The bees wil draw comb just like they do in a a top bar.hive..it will keep you out of trouble for a few days..repalce the frame with a frame with foundation when you get the new foundation

in a TBH the comb is not looked at very often and it ok, with modern frame hive bee keeping methods of weekly inspection then the use of wire foundation is better but not essential if you are careful in hot weather

..charles darwin and William tegetmieir hives in muswell hill in the 1850's were amongst the first experiements with foundation to induce hexagonal cells

Check your bees! No queen cells? - you will not get caught out this week! Queen cells? - remove them, but you may get caught out if you fail to get some foundation soon!

KISS principle in action.

Regards, RAB

In essence you are very well advised to use wired foundation in framed combs other wise you WILL (no ifs and buts here) suffer comb collapse at some point and it WILL be your very best hive.

Why? Because the strongest ones generate most heat and so.....

PH

From what i have read on this post, my suggestion of flat/smooth foundation would appear to be a good idea then?

It could be wired, but would allow the bees to make thier desired cell size rather than have to used a cell size that has been pre-designed for them...

From what i have read on this post, my suggestion of flat/smooth foundation would appear to be a good idea then?

It could be wired, but would allow the bees to make thier desired cell size rather than have to used a cell size that has been pre-designed for them...

I'm only in my 2nd yr of beekeeping, but have soon learnt that folk who have been keeping bees for many years seem to have/give the best advice. Why can't some nubes take the advice they asked for?:banghead:

If your meaning is to get honey honey from hives, no foundation is very expencive choice. You loose perhaps half of your yield.
Lots of drones instead of foragers.
One kilo foundation wax is equal 8 kg honey.

Back