Price of honey versus price of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting thought occurred - "conventional beekeeping" tends to have ongoing costs, which rather gets people moving in the direction of a "business" attitude - all those frames, foundation, sugar, chemicals, membership fees etc. to pay for
I'm rather glad I'm one of those "(more) natural nutters" - total outlay for 4 colonies, hives and all equipment, around £150, time spent - given gladly for free - (a pleasure in itself), total regular annual outlay - not a lot, (£5 for linseed oil (to treat hives) the odd bag of icing sugar, and a ball of string as "starter strip basis") - total income - incalculable riches from the gratitude of favoured friends and family....... priceless!

Bleedin' 'ippies! :biggrinjester:

Last edited:
As an ex accountant, I'm mean. I am building a 4foot TBH at present: from pallets - with an observation window. Even with free wood, fully costed it will be at least £25 - roofing felt,hinges, screws, glue, perspex, linseed oil,mesh floor,sandpaper are all small amounts but add up.

I reckon with 2 self built TBHs, one swarm and one nuc, the first year has cost - including sugar and thymol treatments and BBKA membership - not less than £400. (I bought the wood for TBH1).

I reckon on that basis - if my hives last 10 years - and my annual running costs are £150 for 3 hives, I need to sell 50 lbs of honey a year just to break even without any reward for my work and with no disasters.

No honey year 1, maybe 30 lbs years 2 (not much more as I want to increase to say 6 hives)...so it will be year 3 before I see any returns at all.

And that's with minimal capital outlay..as a hobbyist.

Are people forgetting that honey is not the only product of the hive/bees?

Bees! / Nucs are the "cash cow" of now, and I say make hay while the sun shines.:sifone:

And I hope others do too?

Also making up even just a couple of nucs, will far out weigh messing about with a few jars of honey.

Then maybe the price will come down, there will be more bees about and it might help the situation?

If I read this right then you are planning pricing your honey at a meagre £3?

If so then that is your weakness.

PH

If I read this right then you are planning pricing your honey at a meagre £3?

If so then that is your weakness.

PH

Working on £4 - less bottles/labels etc..

The book Honey farming by ROB Manley is a good book for anyone thinking of taking up beekeeping for a living,bit dated,but much of it still holds true...good bit where he mentions.. into the bankruptcy courts they will be heading.
Good living and profit to be made from beekeeping,if you get it right.

If you want a good idea, get everyone who produces bees/queens/honey/hives etc to sign up to a review panel on this forum. Where everyone who experiences their products can star award them. Then at a glance we could see who sold reliable goods, products. The price could be determined by quality and reputation points. Like Fleebay. Feedback scores given once purchased. Then we would know who the rogues are and avoid. That would be a real service to new beeks like me, and bees alike. IMO. NOW thats is a good idea lol.

Fully agree on the feedback as on E-Bay, there would be the odd unjustified comment but in general, would-be buyers would have a good idea about the reliability and quality of suppliers around.

There was certainly some hostility from a couple of suppliers at the Honey Show once you mentioned Polystyrene.

This was a strange reaction to someone who was getting quotes for substantial amounts of equipment.

I assume there are great profits being made by selling to Beeks, thus suppliers believe we must put up with poor behaviour.

BBG? can you expound on the hostility about poly at the Nat?

Am intrigued

PH

Latest posts

Back